Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2004 09:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone
Has anyone got an example of a permit to work for working in areas which may/may not contain Asbestos.

Many thanks

Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2004 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jimmy
Ian,
Why would you want a permit to work in an area that you considered may not have ACMs? I would only assume that other hazards exist that can not be reasonably controlled by ellimination or other means. Although you should state that the works area is unlikely to contain ACM.
On the other hand if you knew that ACMs were present in the area, would the pending work be likely to disturb the fibres, ie is the work of an intrusive nature? If so then I would have thought that a full professional survey be done to determine the extent and type of asbestos and measures of containment or removal, before works.
If the work is non intrusive and you know for example that the boiler room pipe lagging may contain asbestos, but is in a good condition, then bring this to the attention of the "contractors" who would provide full method statements for their work.The contractor himself may insist that a PTW be drawn up.
I suggest that a PTW for any contractor is not a bad thing as both parties share the same understanding and information in relation to work.(in duplicate)
The HSE web-site gives guidance on the base information of a PTW, and you can adapt it to suit your needs.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2004 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West
Ian,

I have emailed you directly with an example you may wish to amend for your needs together with some guidnace you may find useful.

Kev