Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2004 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven
This is a serious one

Have been contacted by two guys from Sports Development Section, who are attending a "fun" day this week-end. They are going to dress-up as monkeys (chimps, to be pedantic!) in full costumes, including full head "masks". They are going to risk assess the idea and have asked if I have any previous experience in advising on this sort of thing, or a hazard checklist? Alternatively, they wonder if there is any guidance available anywhere?

I can begin to think of some of the hazards to consider and am compiling a checklist - can anyone assist please?

Mike
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2004 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geof
Just be grateful you are not them - the heat inside is un'bear'able. No, I can see it doesn't work with chimps!

However, on a more serious note, issues do include heat so plenty of water, restricted vision including falling over guy ropes - but the biggest problems we found on a fun day were the kids from about 7 upwards to late teens and had to supply minders for protection!

Tricks from the kids included throwing water, sweets, thumping & slapping, tripping up, constant lip and verbal abuse.

Which all sound very negative until you remember the pleasure the little ones got out of it.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2004 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
quite agree with Geof.
Having danced the Hokey Hokey wearing an orang utang costume (in a Terry Pratchett play) I can vouch for the heat problem. Also the head piece is very heavy. Another problem I came across was with the hands - they severely curtail any manual dexterity (a problem is you have to handle bananas! - no don't ask!!). I got round this by wearing cotton gloves inside the hand pieces. Would recommend that whoever is in the costume wears very light clothing inside.

Gilly
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2004 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson
Watch for anyone dressed as a lion, they are natural predators!

Steve w.

Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2004 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
A colleague has just pointed out that you need to make sure that the costumes have been fireproofed.
Also the overshoes are a trip hazard.
Anyone get the idea some of have pretty surreal job descriptions?
Gilly
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2004 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven
Thanks for the contributions folks

The two guys concerned actually tell me that they are mad keen on this and are very much looking forward to the event - I think they're just mad!!

Steve - Both "chimps" are ex-rugby players who have gone into sports coaching and sports development and one of them is also a former amateur boxer of some repute - "bring on the lions", I say!

Mike