Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2004 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a product that my brother uses at work, MEKP, and it mentions in the MSDS that it may act as a tumorigen. I haven't come across this phrase before and wondered if anyone could shed some light on it. I see it mentioned next to carciogen and I see it has an OES, but I'm pretty perplexed to what a tumorigen is.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2004 13:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
As I understand this word it is related to the ability to create tumour in target organs. There is a degree of overlap in my opinion as you will sometimes see the word used on an MSDS followed by a colon and then the descriptor - say mutagen. This therefore implies a general characteristic which can be further defined. Like you however I await the real expertsd in the area to respond

Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2004 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham
"Tumorigenic" probably means someone has done some tests in which they have managed to cause tumours in animals, but "carcinogenic" is used as a technical-legal term with stricter criteria. These sorts of tests in animals have limited validity because of the way they are done and finding tumours under the test conditions doesn't necessarily mean the substance can cause cancer in humans under work conditions.

The official health risk phrases for MEKP are "harmful if swallowed" and "causes severe burns" (it is also a fire and explosion hazard). It's not classified as carcinogenic. There is no mention of tumours or cancer in the data sheet that I have for an MEKP preparation (yours may be more conscientious).

There is often variation in the detail in safety data sheets, partly depending on which country they were written in. But is MEKP a cancer risk? No.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2004 14:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
I think Kate may be a little relaxed about this substance- It is recorded substantially as being capable of causing changes to esophagal and intestinal membranes and must therefore have a potential to create tumours if exposures are repeated with the associated injury to tissues.

My former life was as an industrial chemist and one learns rapidly to treat these things with respect. It is an organic peroxide and quite capable of causing substantial burn injuries; therefore the risk of other random changes to the repaired cells is always present.

Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2004 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes
Looking at the MSDS I now have, it does mention that it may act as a systematic poison, harmful by ingestion, inhalation and through skin contact and very destructive of mucous membranes......phew!

It would be safe assume that using this chemical would need more that your average disposable gloves and nuisance mask that are being provided to my brother. Storing this would also mean that near dodgy light fittings that constantly burn out, is not recommended.

Thanks to Kate and Bob for the info.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 June 2004 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham
Yes, definitely more than that! And I hope he has goggles - you really, really don't want to get this stuff in your eyes.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 June 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
The gloves are less of a problem as many of the good disposables are edequate but the use of at least a cartridge repirator, subject to other control measures being also in place vis a vis the hierarchy of control, is a minimum level.

I personally prefer some form of full facemask or hood with a separate air feed for this. But I am from a school that sampled anhydrous liquid ammonia from the base of a 2000 tonne sphere. The itches in many places, if there were any pinholes, stay in the memory

Bob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 June 2004 17:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tracey Arnold
References you might like to look at are:
HSE Guidance Note CS21 ' The storage and Handling of Organic Peroxides'

MEKP is a product that should only be handled by people who are very aware of the safety conditions needed to be in place when using this product. Use of the right PPE must be determined. Nitrile gloves should be worn, not latex.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 21 June 2004 21:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear All,

The classification "Tumerogen" is not a classification recognised by The Chemicals (Hazard Information and Packaging for Supply) Regulations 2002 SI 2002 No 1689.

Carcinogenic Substances and preparations are defined by the regulations as those which, if they are inhaled or ingested or if they penetrate the skin, may induce cancer or increase its incidence.

A tumorigen is a substance capable of causing tumours. Tumorigenic: Able to cause tumours. A tumour is defined as any abnormal swelling or growth of tissue, whether benign or malignant; an abnormal growth, in rate and structure, that arises from normal tissue, but serves no physiological function. SN neoplasm.

Regards Adrian Watson

Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2004 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kate Graham
Something else to bear in mind is that the MEKP is probably not being used on its own (its usual purpose is to set off a chemical reaction) and the other chemicals it is used with are also likely to be hazardous - all the chemicals need to be considered together.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 June 2004 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze
For example...

Styrene monomer resin, Cobalt & Acetone (GRP manufacture)