Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2004 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood I was at an interesting Seminar yesterday from Midlands Association of Safety Practitioners (mostly IOSH Midland branch) and good feedback was received from delegates. Of concern, were the standards of work equipment re design of it regarding safety provisions to prevent falls - why should we always have to install or use devices to prevent falls when manufacturers' could do this by design? I cited a good example of assessment producing a design of fall arrest on flat bed lorries from Marley Building Products - a post at each end with a ss cable running between to attach driver's harness etc. to. Simple and effective! Why can't we have the same on all rail waggons, mobile cranes etc. etc.? Barriers around mobile plant are still scarce and retro-fitting is still the order of the day - at least one German manufacturer has told me that design changes like this can take 4-5 years to implement into production! Anyway, some of the delegates were up for IOSH helping to spread good practice around the Membership by hosting a website that would 'collect' pictures, stories and documents etc., illustrating experience and best practice in Work at Height, so we all don't have to re-invent the wheel! Come to think about it, why stop at W@H? If a good response is received from this Thread, I will ensure it gets discussed in IOSH and you never know where that could lead so come on - let's have your opinions and make this Thread the longest in the database (without any politics)!! Regards, George
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2004 17:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould You’re bang on right George. Stories and photos etc are fantastic, especially for people doing courses or finding their feet in the Health & Safety Field. I have enjoyed some stories of peoples experiences on here and always try to imagine the "what would I do" in their shoes. Great learning. Shared PowerPoint’s or teaching plans will be very useful. The most beneficial side would be testimonies from the more experienced safety professionals as to the do's, don’ts and bewares. Some rules would have to be enforced to be a successful forum and a lot can be learnt from similar forums in the gaming world. A few examples would be as follows. 1. Moderators 2. Compulsory feedback to contributors i.e. PowerPoint, what you thought and how you would have improved it etc. That way you can test methods with results instead of just dumping. 3. Absolute ban on advertising, self-appraisals and insults etc you can get enough of that here. 4. Pay pal facilities to make donations to keep site running or donate to other members for their freeware contributions as in the gaming industry people can spend hours, days and even months twigging with things till their right. They do this for others rather than themselves. 5. Live chat would be interesting though H&S may just be the last thing on someone’s mind in the evening but for students I am sure this would help with revision etc. You know the games they play such as name that chemical. 6. Jokes 7. Site links. I don’t know. It would be good but who would or could volunteer their time in its creation. And that’s where great Ideas hit brick walls. Jason
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2004 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Delwynne I'm definitely still 'finding my feet' within Health & Safety and would love to have something like you're suggesting. These forums are great - it's very useful for me reading other peoples disscussions and being able to contribute as well, but having a resource where I could look at examples would be more useful still.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2004 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews Great idea George, I have many photos, that I have taken myself or been given by collegues and friends, of real life situations. They really get the message across in training sessions. Richard
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2004 10:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Hurst Hi George I too was at the Seminar on Wednesday and thought that it was a great suggestion to get a "sharing" of ideas. I work in the highways section of a Local Authority and would definately appreciate a forum for sharing pictures, ideas, thoughts, etc with colleagues. As was said on Wednesday, it makes much more sense to have a consistent approach to tackling these issues and if everyone who is interested could contribute their thoughts, etc then it could be a fantastic resource. David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2004 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Thanks for the enthusiastic feedback and some good ideas from Jason! I have also had support from our President elect - so keep the views coming and we will get there. George
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 June 2004 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By kelvin George, Sounds like a wonderful idea and something im sure i will get value out of. It would be great to have a place to ask the specifics of such a topic and if you could include directions of what documents are good resources for facts and figures for W@H it would be fantastic. A questions answers section would be great. I think your onto something hear and when you say the skies the limited prehaps this type of thing could be done for other H&S topics. You can go to the site and know that it will be dealing with W@H or COSHH or what ever you chose to go to. Kelvin
Admin  
#8 Posted : 25 June 2004 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Darmody George I was at the same seminar. Yep, I agree a website would be an exellent way to illustrate best practice, new initiatives etc Mark
Admin  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2004 07:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Taylor I can only concur with the other respondants here. A development of this forum into particular focus database formats can only benefit the H and S community giving people doing good things the opportunity to share theur achievements and provided a repositary of info for people lookig for ideas. Working on the CASE principle Copy And Share Everything health and safety is an ideal element where thyere can be few arguments of commercial confidentiality. Yes - I am up for this great idea Martin Taylor