Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2004 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Hurst Hi all I'm looking for some guidance on leaving vehicles on the roadside unattended but with the engine's running. Working for a Local Authority, we have a situation where refuse vehicles, for example, whilst undertaking their daily collections are on the roadside with the operatives out of the vehicle loading bags of rubbish with the engine of the vehicle still running (to enable the compactors, etc to operate). This could leave a possibility that whilst the loaders, etc are at the rear of the vehicle, someone could try and drive off. I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with this subject and what control measures they put in place? Any advice / comment would be most welcome. Thanks David
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2004 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Byatt David, Issue them with 2 keys. Leave one in the ignition with the engine running and lock the door with the other.... That's what I do when I need to leave my vehicle on the hard shoulder of the motorway with the amber beacons on and wander off into the undergrowth. Otherwise the battery goes flat! Cheers, James
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2004 12:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams I don't know if there are any dispensations for the type of work you describe, but it is an offence under the road traffic act to leave a vehicle with the engine running.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2004 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes We recently had this issue raised and it was decided that it was up to the discretion of the driver to assist his loaders or not. The packing mechanism won't work without the engine running so the driver has to assess whether it is safe to leave the RCV unattended and assist. Obviously in a built up area where the increased risk of some idiot jumping in and pinching it or in icy weather where the handbrake may not be sufficient enough to hold the vehicle, we leave it up to the driver to decide, or report back to his line manager for advice.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2004 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Hi David, Why not leave the driver of the vehicle behind the wheel and in control of the vehicle or has this practice been used and stopped as a cost cutting exercise. What do your insurers have to say Keith.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 June 2004 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Hurst Thanks for the responses. They are all valid comments. With regard to the driver staying behind the wheel of the vehicle, the Authority is looking to introduce mini Refuse Colection Vehicles which, may, only operate with one man who would become a driver / loader. This already happens with the re-cycling collections and it is this area which is of particular concern. 2 sets of keys would afford the driver some control over the securing of the cab. I haven't explored the idea fully, but there may be a way of using remote central locking, which would facilitate the locking / unlocking of the cabs. I'm to trying to as obtain as many experiences / ideas from fellow professionals who have also come accross this issue,so if you've got any more ideas or thoughts they would be most welcome.