Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2004 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Bridgehouse Has anyone any information regarding the use of quad bikes whilst weed spraying? My concerns are that the rider does not have full control of the bike whilst spraying using a hand held lance. Risk assessment would dictate that some sort of head protection should be worn , especially when working on the roads/grassy slopes. Under PUWER should these machines be fitted with some sort of anti roll-bar to protect the rider if the machine should roll on a slope? They are renown for rolling on slopes. Any information regarding these machines and associated tasks would be welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2004 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston I asked a number of questions on a similar vain a short time ago. Try the following link to a previous discussion thread. http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...rum=1&thread=8032&page=1 Also try the HSE free leaflet Agriculture Information sheet AIS33. This discusses role over protection and PPE for quad bikes. Where there is a risk of overturning of a quad bike then roll over protection is required. Quad bikes are classed as an all terrain vehicle (ATV). The drivers body weight is moved from side to side to assist the stability of the vehicle on uneven ground. I guess any action that takes one hand from the handle bar for prolonged periods (i.e to spray weed killer) is not appropriate. Hope this helps Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2004 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston To correct the above message, Roll bars are NOT recommended for sit astride ATV's. They are recommended for sit in ATV's. The reason - alledgedly is is easier to jump off (and clear of) a sit astride ATV than it is for a sit in type.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2004 16:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee Good rider training is essential (LANTRA etc). Head protection must be worn for all quad bike use even at low speeds & on level ground(e.g.motorcycle helmet, ATV helmet, appropriate equestrian helmets etc NOT cycle helmets, bump caps or construction safety helmets). The rider must be in control and must not hold equipment such as spray lances while riding (even at low speed). See AFAG701 "ATV Quad Bikes" and AIS33 from HSE for further info.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2004 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tracey Arnold I think what you are really looking for is not a compelte roll cage but a wheelie bar on the back of the quad to prevent overturning when too much acceleration is given or when going up an incline. (similar to what drag bikes have to stop them from flipping backwards). I would also recommend trying to find a way of weed spraying automatically so that both hands can still be on the bars.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2004 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Timothy Capner Dear Stephen Just a quick respone. I've noticed that a company in my area using quad bikes for weed spraying have adapted spray bars at the rear of the bike, so the rider can maintain full control. The technology is out there and if I can find the supplier or whoever adapted the bikes - I'll let you know. Regards Timothy Capner