Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2004 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood In a recent thread 'Bob the Builder....' it was noted that; "With regard to tractors and trailers, I had the benefit of a quiet weekends fly fishing on the river last Saturday. Whilst I was doing my stuff there was a tractor working hard up and down the feld all day. After packing up I was crossing the same field which was now cut and baled. The tractor was now in the next field and I was quite surprised when I noticed the driver. He was about 12 years old and lone working. Born to it I suppose and doing the job like he knows no other. I realise that farming is one of the worst industries for accidents and dodgy practices but having grown up on the farm he has had lifetime (albeit short) apprenticeship." Various following posters pointed out the legality issues and the like, and many people will get very upset at the thought of this kind of thing going on. I come from a part of Scotland where crofting is still the norm, lone working and children driving tractors are everyday occurances because there is no other way. Without collectivising the crofts into farms, how is the lone crofter to cut and bale hay without lone working, and could the work ever get done without the participation of his children? Certainly I spent many a happy hour on our tractor, even bringing the dried peats five miles back along the public highway! I remember hearing of one accident just after compulsory roll bars came into being, in fact his had been fitted just the day before - lucky guy, the bar saved his life. How should we and the authorities look to protect the safety of these people? Should it be in the form of ban this, ban that, or perhaps grounded in the principles of practicability? Bear in mind the nearest HSE officer is a two and a half hour at least drive away from the area I cited above. To those who have called for discussions on "real issues" instead of focusing on liability, now's your chance to join one! Alec Wood Samsung Electronics Sod the spelling, and the grammar too!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2004 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Alec, It's a real problem with no easy solution other than using all possible sources (including Bob the Builder, the Archers etc...) to put forward the arguement that children & heavy plant is not an acceptable combination. It's all very well having laws in force, but until people accept the moral arguement that young & inexperienced people should not be put into harms way, accidents will continue to occur. Every summer our company has to pull the plug on someone doing work experience on a relatives farm when it becomes clear that work with machinery is expected. The problem is that our organisation ends up looking unhelpful & obstructive and in all probability the work goes on anyway. So I am convinced that (just like drink driving before) the media has to play a part.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2004 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Alec, I've given my opinion on this on numerous posts recently - it comes down to effective education of hazard perception and risk awareness. I am not given to banning things per se, as this doesn't solve the problem it only transfers it. I won't repeat here what I've said in the past (sighs of relief all round), this can be seen by interested parties by just reviewing my most recent contributions. The problems you describe here are similar to the one of the fishing industry here in North East Scotland. My understanding of this was rather poor until our branch held a presentation and tour of Peterhead harbour and we were given an excellent breifing on the problems encountered by an industry that is, let's face it, in decline. There was a good quote in today's Risk e-zine from the TUC regarding construction injuries, where Scotland has an appalling record. The extract is "Regional secretary Alan Ritchie said: 'Our members don't leave the house in the morning and say we're going to break the Health and Safety at Work Act and kill myself to be macho. They go to their work, they're given an illegal instruction, and while carrying out that instruction they are killed or maimed.'" The relationship with your scenario is - what decision-making was involved in giving what is termed "an illegal instruction". Competitive pressures? Ignorance? Greed? Crofters don't make their money from the land. Many require 2nd jobs just to get by. The work is hard for little reward. Fatigue, financial pressure, government requirements - all take their toll. They see an objective and they do the quickest job as effectively as possible to get it done. As you say, lone working is a problem. And there is no requirement for formal qualifications to take up the position - often it is handed on. Learned behaviour within a closed loop. This is why I believe that effective risk perception education of young children is a skill they will carry with them throughout their lives - in whatever capacity they sook to live it. Safe thinking will eliminate the need for rigid rules and bans, which don't fully work anyway. What say the rest of you?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2004 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan Singing from the same hymn sheet here! Getting the safety message across to children and young people is vital. Not only to ensure they are aware of risks and able to protect themselves but to pass on their knowledge on to people older than themselves who know no better. On many occasions I see reference to parental responsibility being the only thing that matters when looking at issues surrounding children and young people. Only a fool who would argue that parental responsibility was not important. It is often the case that the industries that suffer from the highest accident rates are not just the most dangerous but also engage employees who have had the lowest degree of safety awareness education whilst at school. Those lucky enough to be going into construction or agriculture (including all the land/ sea based industries) with the benefit of college or university safety education are few and far between in the manual trades. The end result can be a total lack of awareness or even worse an attitude that accepts intolerable risk as being "part of the job". The importance of empowering children and young people with the knowledge that could not only save their lives but that of their parents and workmates is vital. It is probably the case that some enterprises would not survive without the assistance of family members. This does not mean that it is acceptable for those most at risk to undertake the most hazardous jobs. The enforcing authorities are indeed too thinly spread to deal with all issues. There is no easy way to deal with the issues that are so obvious. By ensuring that people are able to understand the concept of risk and protect those unable to comprehend the magnitude of identified risk we are then doing what we trained to do. This is not about banning activites or taking food out of peoples mouths. This is about raising awareness in people that have a need to ensure that jobs are done, hay mown, sheep fed etc. All the work can be done. It just means that the correct person must undertake each task to minimise risks. After all, as has been stated previously, the work cannot get done if everyone does not pull their weight. This may mean that the younger people get what are perceived to be the boring jobs, but it is better to be bored than just a memory. I will watch this thread with interest.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2004 17:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch but, Alec the law already recognises that farmers' kids traditionally muck in. Hence you only have to be 13 to drive a tractor for your parents. This has been the case for decades and restated in 1997 Regs. Why specifically 13, not sure, but that was the age when Lord Denning thought that kids could probably cope with crossing the road, ie some sense of risk awareness sufficiently developed. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 July 2004 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian McMillan An interesting report on children living with and within agriculture can be found at the following link - http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr110.pdf The recommendations of the report detail much of what has already been highlighted in this thread
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 July 2004 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster One of our favourite family photos is of my son apparently undertaking electrical work. He is wearing overalls, hard hat, rubber gloves and safety specs and standing on low wooden steps with hand rail and using a safety electrical screwdriver to remove a light switch. I was remodelling the kitchen and he wanted to help. He was just 4 years old. But just about everything he learned that day he knows and applies to this day and is the first to chastise me if I start a job without the right gear. Never too young to learn, and although a full appreciation of risk may not be developed kids have often got far more sense than we give them credit for.