Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2004 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven Hi all Am aware of what the DSE reg's say, have looked at the HSE advice note, and am not looking to re-open the debate about lots of people using the reg's to get a free eyetest whenever they feel like it, but........ What do you guys do about repeat eyetests? What do we class as "very frequent" repeat eyetests? Do you have rules on how frequently staff can get a repeat test? Etc, etc. Any views? Mike
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2004 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Normally every 2 years unless a medical condition necessitates a more frequent regime.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2004 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rakesh Maharaj To add my 2 pence worth to Ron's response: If the prescription lenses supplied exacerbated an existing condition or was incorrect in the first place. Regards Rakesh
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2004 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Melanie Harrison Every two years as mentioned above - normally that it what opticians advise anyway. It may be beneficial for a Company to specicfy a nominated Optician near to where the employees work so there is some consistency in the price of eye tests, frequency etc.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2004 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee The guidance to the regs (L26) states "Employers should be guided by the clinical judgement of the optometrist or doctor on the frequency of repeat testing. The frequency of repeat testing needed will vary between individuals, according to factors such as age." I.e. the person carrying out the test staes when a further test is due. Also if the user experiences visual difficulties which may be reasonably be considered to be caused by their VDU work. Simon
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2004 09:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Craven Many thanks for the responses guys - much appreciated, but can I take the discussion forward a stage or two. I am aware of what the regs, acop, guidance notes, etc say, and realise that we need to consider the optician's professional opinion. We do, as Melanie suggests, use certain approved opticians - we belong to a national eyecare (voucher) scheme. However.... I accept and concur with Ron's view about testing every two years - subject, as others have pointed out, to the consideration of opticians advice and individual factors and characteristics such as age, existing medical/optical conditions, etc - but. What do you do if one of the approved opticians appears to take the view that everyone should have an annual eyetest? How do you separate "normal" eyetests from those for DSE users? How do you deal with a large group of people who "have come for my annual eyetest" when they just happen to be DSE users? Any comments? (I realise that I am probably being "paid back" now. As a Union Safety Rep for may years, I encouraged people to have their regular "free" eyetest because "it's about the only perk you can get from this firm". Probably cost the Post Office and Royal Mail an absolute fortune over the years!!!!!!!) Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2004 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Unless there are mitigating circumstances, it is generally accepted that an eyetest every two years is enough. I have come across opticians in the past who go on the one year rule but this tends to be more of a sales gimic. Speak with the other opticians that you use and take their advice. I did this previously and what I say above came from one of them
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 July 2004 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee College’s of Optometrists Guidelines for Professional Conduct Section 22 Recommended Minimum Re-examination Intervals 22.04 Unless deemed clinically necessary, patients should not be recalled more frequently than the following intervals: ......... d) Patients aged 16 years and over and under 70 years – 2 years ........... ( http://www.college-optom...ional/freq_eye.exam2.pdf & http://www.college-optom...20Eye%20Examinations.pdf ) See also: 25 Work With Display Screen Equipment ( http://www.college-optom...org/professional/dse.pdf & http://www.college-optom.../guidelines/25%20DSE.pdf ) and FAQs ( http://www.college-optom...ts.org/public/FAQpub.htm ) Simon
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 July 2004 19:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Technically you could regard this as part of a DSE risk assessment, and RAs should be reviewed at least annually. I endorse tests at twelve months and have never had any flak from the bean counters Laurie
Admin  
#10 Posted : 08 July 2004 07:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack But surely Laurie the 'bean counters' recognise that you are the competent h&s adviser and expect you to be providing the best h&s advice. They are probably not aware of the HSE guidance quoted above. How did you arrive at 1 year? Based on your reasoned assessment or plucked out of the air?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 08 July 2004 18:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Jack As I said in my original response, I review all risk assessments, DSE or otherwise, at least annually, and rightly or wrongly I consider the sight test as part of my assessment Laurie
Admin  
#12 Posted : 09 July 2004 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger Uncles Mike Our company guidelines are every 2 years for DSE users,Inspectors, and safety glasses
Admin  
#13 Posted : 09 July 2004 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter Laurie, Some of your bean counters might be upset if they were aware that such tests are to be provided only if and when requested by the User! If your using voucher systems, your bean counters might also want to see some traceability of issue, and a spread sheet format can also be used to record 'date of last issue'against employee number, going some way to reducing abuse of the system? DSE Regs allow for in-house vision screening , and there are software packages on the market allowing this to be done at the Workstation, which you could install across your workplace(s)via intranet, LAN, etc., carrying out vision screening as often as you like at minimal cost - those 'failing' screening could then be sent for test. The bigger the number of Users, the more value in considering screening.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 09 July 2004 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Teresa Kirkby DSE users are still entitled to choose a full eye test instead of screening or after having had vision screening. (See L26, Work with display screen equipment, guidance paragraph 76)