Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2004 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald We have a site where there will be heavy traffic movements from our site onto the public roadway (8 wheeler wagons). We have two banksmen and a site traffic plan but we are considering use of stop/go lollipop type signs to give a further option to control the public traffic. Do the banksmen need any specific/particular training to carry out these duties. Peter
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2004 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Moran Peter, your banksmen will need training in order to carry out this role safely. They will also need to be clearly identifiable on site by the use (normally) of a long sleeved hi-vis vest in orange and a red hard hat instead of white or any other colour. Some slinger/signaller courses that are available do include an element of reversing etc but the only one so far I have found that is specifically related to reversing construction-related vehicles is that provided by Matrix in Bristol on 01179681190 and run by Martyn Cox. Banksmen themselves are at great risk when carrying out this role and will benefit from this training. We now have in excess of 65 trained banksmen out of our workforce of 200 operatives. You will find the following HSE publication useful....don't forget the lorries themselves should be provided with all-round visibility as contained in PUWER. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg148.pdf
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2004 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald Pete Thanks for the reply but I've got the on-site banksman trained and properly kitted out. There's two on this site and it's their only role . I'm interested in specific training requirements for the stop/go lollipop type signs they could use to control the traffic on the public road. Cheers peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2004 17:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sam Rawcliffe Peter Works in the Public Highway are covered by the New Roads & Street Works Act and under Sections 65 & 124 the use of Traffic Management covered by the Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice. (£5.99) from the Stationary Office. Under Section 67 of the Act, Operatives and Supervisors working in the public highway must be trained, which leads to registration on the Street Works Qualification Register. However, since you are not excavating they would only require Units 002 and 010 for Signing & Guarding. (Similar to hire companies who provide and set up traffic lights). I would suggest you liase with the local authority highways/streetworks department and for further information, try: http://www.streetworks.fsnet.co.uk Regards Sam Rawcliffe
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2004 17:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie Peter, I would check with the local authority and police before you do anything. I remember when we had a visit by the local authority and police to a previous site of mine and the policeman went mad when he saw a banksman hold his hand up to stop the traffic. As I rememeber, he said that only police or traffic wardens are allowed to control traffic on a public road. good luck Jim