Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2004 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Shaw Dear Members. I am studying an MSc in Health and Safety Management at Leicester University and currently finalising a dissertation proposal, which commences in September 04. At present, the title of my research shall be:- The Business use of mobile phones whilst driving: Are employers demonstrating corporate social responsibility above minimum legal compliance? My research will require the collection of primary data, in the form of a self completion ‘social’ questionnaire to issued to members of the public, employees and employers (at present the focus being on publicly quoted and limited employers). If you or your organisation would be happy to take part, please email brief contact details to michael_shaw@turntown.co.uk and I shall be in touch. Many thanks for taking the time to read this notice. Kind Regards Mike Shaw
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2004 17:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Shaw thanks to those who have responded, but more offers required please. Regards Mike Shaw
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Shaw Many thanks to those who have responded, but more offers would be appreciated. Regards Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Is it possible that Mike isn't getting a strong response to his request due to a general understanding that all corporate pledges to implement what the law requires was all just puff? I see people driving and talking on hand-helds every single day. Effectiveness of this particular law in changing behaviours and making the road safer - nada. Mike, I'll take part as an individual if you so wish, but the answers provided will all be negative. Add to that my belief that not only was it a cr*p law to start with, it also missed the point - the danger wasn't in holding or dialling but in having the conversation in the first place, so we've made it worse by having a law that endorses and encourages use of hands-free!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2004 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Shaw Sean - Thanks for the offer. Your thoughts will mirror those of other people with an interest in H&S, but I expect other stakeholders to have different perceptions of the risks associated with this activity. If it is of interest to readers, the aims of my research are at present :- ONE) To determine how different target groups perceive the risks associated with using phones whilst driving and whether target groups interpret this as being an acceptable or unacceptable risk. As regulators have sanctioned a level of acceptable risk, the research aims to establish, to what extent, target groups agree or disagree with the governmental current level of tolerability. TWO) explore the social acceptability of mobile phone use in conjunction with the acceptability of the risk. (other example in the past would be drink driving, being far less acceptable now than 20 years ago) THREE) On an organizational level, determine to what degree employers are aware of the risks, current level of legal compliance and whether changes to UK law have influenced employers’ attitudes towards corporate social responsibility. This research aims to determine what policies, procedures and working practices management have established and implemented to mitigate risk and to identify the underlying causational factors of non compliant organizations. FOUR) Demonstrate that companies complying with corporate governance have different, stricter policies than those who do not subscribe to governance. PS - I keep leaving my own messages as this keeps the posting on the first page when a forum is accessed by members ;-) Any feedback to the above would be welcome.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2004 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brett Day Mike Drop us a line, how are you ? We met at Orange. Will happily take part in your survey. Though Like others think this is bad law, badly publisiced and the public badly misinformed by to many with a vested interest in various 'gadgets'.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2004 07:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Shaw Many thanks to those who have responded - keep them coming..! Cheers Mike