Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2004 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Wright Can anyone suggest a "proven" method of conducting an "effective role call" in the event of an evacuation where there are large numbers of people on the site at any one ime (in the region of 600) who could be any where on the site. A early response to this would be very much appriciated!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2004 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By christopher ian harris ( AIIRSM ) Hi peter firstly do you have dedicated fire leaders inplace ? for instance every area within our orginisation has a team of dedicated fire leaders , they have been trained in the use of fire extinquishers and of how to deal with the personel in the event of a fire . may i suggest you get approximatley 2 people per 100 people trained for this role ? so you have adequate cover . i would also like to know if you have a fire register of people who are working on site at any one time ? you may also want to introduce a list of personel who will be in any area at any time . the fire leaders will use these for a roll call in the case of an emergency . if you like please get in touch and i will explain further for you .
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2004 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young We don't conduct role calls, they are time consuming and usually inacurate. Better to appoint managers to ensure that their area of control has been cleared of personnel before they leave and for them to report that fact to the controller at the assembly point.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2004 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JAMES MM Peter We have fire wardens who clear their respective floor areas,plant rooms etc. Once outside their trade contractor site supervisor takes a nominal role and reports any absentees to the fire safety coordinator. We have signs on poles to identify locations for site operatives to report to. Our last evacuation of over 600 people in a 10 floor building took 7 minutes. It works for us. good luck Jim
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2004 15:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze The main problem with a signing in based system is that you are reliant on staff remembering to sign in, i.e. it fails to danger. We have found that using the system Ron describes is a far better way of ensuring the area is fully evacuated. An appointed fire warden (or your line manager) does a sweep of the area prior to evacuating the building. Having said all that, an electronic swipe card system linked to the payroll system might work (it's amazing how people suddenly become keen to ensure their records are accurate when money is involved). Disadvantages of the above system are cost to install (could be prohibitive in small businesses) and staff morale issues.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 July 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Peter, I have never found a completely reliable roll-call system. For almost 20 years I ran twice yearly exercises, with and without warning, with and without variations - we always found a way of improving the system. (the "what went wrong this time" are legion - worht an evening in the bar) At my last plant we used electronic badges - use it to get on-site the morning and off site at the end of the day. The system could tell us at any time of the day exactly who was on site. We thought. We used them to do the roll call on an evacuation exercise. Everyone was on the car park within five minutes except for a supervisor and one of his technicians. In a real life situation we would have had to tell the fire brigade who would have had to search all areas, as well as fighting any fire. In this situation we sent the sweeps (fire wardens) back in to check their areas. Nothing. We called an end to the exercise and sent everyone back to work. Halfway through the post mortum meeting the guard called to say "they are back". They had gone off site in the company van to pick up something from the railway station. Seeing the van the guard had simply lifted the barrier without thinking about who was in it or noting it in his log. We had found yet another way of improving our system. Advice ? - during an exercise rely on your sweeps. In real life - let the fire brigade handle it.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 July 2004 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Thomas Peter for the past 2 years I have used such a system 28,000sqft office block with 210 people. Firstly I have Fire Wardens allocated to defined areas of the building to clear staff through the emergency routes. Where possible in addition to fully trained I have "nominated" persons who stand in for holidays etc who get the next training course. Each department pa/adminstrator is tasked with raisng a list of people in the department showing name + prompts as to in/hols/customer site etc. This is laminated and checking carried out with a chinagraph pencil. When the building is evacuated all muster as a department, the pa checks people off and the completed muster list if collected by one of the estates team and taken to the fire marshall at reception. If someone from another department goes to the wrong department they are taken under the wing and included as an extra/visitor All fire wardens report to the Fire Marshall their areas are checked and clear (to the best of their knowledge). All visitors to the building are 110% responsibility of their company host and muster with the host in his department, a note being made on the checklist. This has been proved to work on several occaisions and has been complimented on by those using it. It takes peoples minds off the incident, focusing on a task that is normal to them. It devolves some of the responsibilities of the Fire Marshall and his Wardens who will be doing their own tasks, but it also gives the Fire Brigade a good impression of the handling of an evacuation as they are presented with Visitors books and muster lists and an evaluation of those who may be missing by people from the building. There is alot more to this which I will email you direct. Finally, when serving on an aircraft carrier of 2,400 souls we had "Exercise Thimble Hunt", to carry out an immediate muster of all onboard. This was Tannoyed several times and everyone had to telephone their department administration point. This worked exceedingly well, enabling one individual to be posted as missing within about 10mins. Dave