Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2004 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood ELVs can have almost anything inside them - particularly in the boot. I need to implement some better controls for employees handling them and 'depolluting' them. Has anyone got any experience of what the fire, rescue or police authorities do to control risks of bio-hazards, needlestick injuries etc, if they have to enter an old, used, scrap, abandoned vehicle? Thanks, George
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2004 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart Bump
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2004 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray George, When officers in my force deal with any vehicle they have to use there eyes, when they are searching vehicles this is their first line of defence. They are trained to search a vehicle in a systematic manner and this will also cover areas that we have previously found sharps etc. In your case you are dismantling which we rarely do but I would suggest that your staff are trained to look out for the obvious, i.e needles syringes etc and using a pair of grips (we use a device called ampleprobe) to remove the items safely, and also dispose of them in a safe manner. Working with recovery operator driver are encouraged not to sit in the vehicle or if the need to they should place boards over the seat cushions, there have been instances where sharps have been placed in the seat cushions and are not visible until the seat is compressed. If you have any specific queries please contact me direct. Martin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2004 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart Thanks to Martin for his comments. Any more advice / info, procedures or risk assessments would be gratefully recieved. Cheers, Danny