Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2004 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By christopher ian harris ( AIIRSM )
can anyone tell me if there is a legal obligation to have fire leaders in place in the event of an emergency at the workplace if so how many are required for how many people employed .
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2004 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt
Christopher,

I think it would be down to what your fire risk assessment says regarding quantity - though I imagine you may struggle to argue you don't need any trained fire wardens.

The HSE website will have guidance leaflets or publications which will give additional help including, possibly, the following:

Title Fire safety
SubTitle An employers guide
Author Home Office, Scottish Executive, Department of the Environment (Northern Ireland) for HSE
Publisher London: The Stationery Office
Date of Publication 1999
Length 84 pages
ISBN 0113412290
Price Exc. VAT £9.95
VAT Rate 0%
Product Type Hard Copy
Format Paper
Abstract Provides guidance for employers, on what needs to be done to comply with the law relating to fire issues. It also outlines how to carry out a fire risk assessment and identify the safeguards which should be in place. Although written for employers, the guide will also be useful if you are self-employed or are in control of workplaces to which people you do not employ, and members of the public have access. The information contained within this publication will also provide a useful source of reference for: employees; employee-elected representatives; trade union appointed health and safety representatives and all other people who have a role in ensuring fire safety in the workplace. Contents: Who is this guide for? Introduction; Part 1 - Risk assessment; Part 2 - The five steps of risk assessment; Part 3 - Further guidance on fire precautions.

I hope this helps.

Regards

James Goodstadt
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2004 18:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair
Christopher,

The requirement for fire leaders (or fire marshals) is an implied requirement under Regulation 7 Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, the duty on an employer to have one or more competent persons to assist him undertake his health and safety duties.

As there is a duty on an employer to safely evacuate his employees in the event of a fire, he can use Fire Marshals to achieve this.

As has already been stated, the number and level of training of these Marshals is down to the employer, based on his risk assessments.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

David
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2004 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Here's the link for the document refered to above.

http://www.archive.offic.../document/fire/index.htm

Regards Adrian Watson