Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2004 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By johnwaterson
HiAll,
Can anyone help? I remember reading late last year in SHP that the rules on entry to buildings & toilets etc were changing, i.e access for disabled persons to enter buildings. Am i correct in saying that the changes to buildings have to take or be in place by Oct 04. The fitting of ramps and disable toilets to be fitted to those premises that require them. If anyone has any info i would be grateful. Many thanks

Appollo 11 launched from Cape Kennedy 16 Jul 1969
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2004 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
Hi

You are quite correct October 2004 is the deadline. Type in CIRIA in google and the information should come up. Also try Croners site as there was some info on it there. If you have any trouble accessing it send me an e-mail and I will attach it back to you.

Mike.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2004 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Duignan
Mike

If you are the lead person regarding the implementation of the DDA 1995 in relation to customers, make sure you get across that the necessary changes are NOT simply to the physical environment.

'Disabilities' of customers include mental impairments and learning difficulties. So matters like signage, instructions and staff training are as important as physical adjustments.

The British Standard BS 8330 is the standard to start with.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2004 21:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow
John

Also, include provisions for those that are hard of hearing - induction loops.

Visually impaired - lighting, availability of large print information, audio cassettes etc etc.

The elderly and walking ambulant.

Staff training to ensure they are capable of properly dealing with clients with disabilities.

Last thing to remember - the changes are not prescriptive and the test of reasonably practicable apply - but have a very good reason for denying a client/member of the public with disabilities access to your goods or services.

Hope this helps.

Regards

David B
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2004 23:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sinclair
I think we need to STOP and think. I see another bandwagon rolling with health and safety practitioners shouting come aboard.

As competent health and safety practitioners, we need to begiving our employers and clients measured, qualified advice based on knowledge and experience.

The previous contributors are correct in saying that the final part (Part II) of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 comes into force on 1 October 2004.

Part II relates to the requirement for providers of goods and services to the public not to discriminate against disabled people.

However, before people go advising their employer/client to spend thousands of pounds on ramps, induction loops, special websites, etc. I strongly urge you to read the Act, its associated Regulations and the Code of Practice.

When you do consider physical changes and auxiliary aids, undertake an assessment and think:

1. What disabilities are people who are likely to want to access the goods/services likely to have?

2. Is the feature, etc in question likely to discriminate against that category of disabled person?

3. If yes, do any of the exemptions apply to the requirement to make changes, etc?

4. If no, does the feature comply with Part M of the Building Regulations and is it covered by the 10 year rule?

5. If no, is is reasonable for the changes, etc. to be made?

Than and only then is an employer required to made physical changes to buildings and/or install auxiliary aids.

Regards.

David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2004 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
You will need to not unreasonably discriminate and to make reasonable adjustments to buildings. Ring the Disability Rights Commission (08457 622 633)and get the guidance booklets applicable to your situation.