Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2004 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP
A sscaffolding company is trying to up its costs by saying that there is a new requirement to tie scaffolding in at every window- anyone heard of this and can they point me in the direction of info? Thanks F
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2004 16:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith
Francis,

There are no new scaffolding regulations that I know of yet.

The proposed working at height regulations as I understand need to be re-drafted and then it will be interesting as BS 5973 will be withdrawn and all tube and fitting scaffolding structures will then have to be designed.

If the scaffolders are telling you that the scaffolding needs to be tied in at every window, it is worth asking for the scaffolding designer's, design calculations.

Is it a BS 5973 scaffolding structure or not?

Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2004 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By allan wood
dont know about being tied in at every window, surely this would depend on the height of the scaffold structure and its length.the N.A.S.C.(national association of scaffolding contractors) have recommendations about the tying in of scaffolds see below;

unsheeted independant up to 50 m high- type of tie - through tie, box tie or anchor tie, ties which will not be removed as agreed with client - every 40m square. ties which may be temporarily remeoved as agreed wuth client - every 32m square.
reveals - ties which will not be removed as agreed with client - every 22m square. ties which may be temporarily removed as agreed with client - every 22m square.

sheeted independant up to 25m high - through, box or anchor tie - ties which will not be removed as agreed with client - every 32m square. ties which may be temporarily removed as agreed with client - every 25m square.
reveals - unsuitable unless supplemented.

unsheeted putlog scaffold up to 50m high - through ties - ties which will not be removed as agreed with client - every 40m square. ties which may be temporarily removed as agreed with client - every 32m square.
reveals - ties which will not be removed as agreed with client - every 22m square, ties which may be temporarily removed as agreed with client - every 22m square.

you could also try the N.A.S.C. website for any further information.
from my understanding and from speaking to various scaffold contractors, a design, build and dismantling plan will be required for a complex scaffold this would be a scaffold which would include a loading bay built into it according to the scaffold companies, however this information may not be absolutley correct.
hope the info is of some assisstance to you.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2004 17:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicholas Williams
Isn't there a new European standard introduced for scaffolding? I saw an article in 'Building' and cannot remember the number.

Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2004 18:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicholas Williams
Found it

The new European code for scaffolding, EN12811-1, will be published in June 2004. At that time the BSI must amend BS5973, and the resulting document is likely to affect the erection of traditional scaffolds.

It is understood that the maximum height of scaffolds stated in BS5973 will be reduced by approximately 50%.

Nick
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2004 22:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JAMES MM
Francis,
I have today completed my scaffold inspectors course. There are no new changes and having seen the draft regs for working at height I think they are trying to pull the wool.

regards

Jim