Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2004 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sharon
With regards to the safe use of power presses.

We have an SMV power press which has its clutch and brake unit examined on a three yearly basis. The external insurance inspector has been on site, the examination of the parts of the press was not carried out as the SMV service engineers can only attend the site at the end of August 04.

The frequency and who is allowed to open up the power press is on the press plate as "Manufacturers Recomendations".

Our other presses have the clutch and brake inspected on a 4 yearly basis and are opened up by our own tradesmen.

What we need to know is why does the insurance inspector request that SMV open up the press and why does this examination have to be carried out on a 3 yearly basis and not on a four yealry basis like our other presses.

On reading the Safe use of Power Presses Provision and use of work equipment regs 1998 I can not find anything about who can actually open up the press, does this have to be carried out by SMV service engineers or can a competent person open up the press.

Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2004 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert.J
Can understand your frustrations.
It may well be that in the inspectors "original" schedule it is worded so that the manufacturer is present or to that effect, and he wont deviate unless a formal review is carried out for subsequent inspections. It may even be a condition of the insurance and is not uncommon.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2004 22:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Hi Sharon,

I am trying to vaguely remember an article in a recent SHP magazine. I think it was an insurance inspector who overturned a MEWP - although he was competent to inspect it I think it was found that he was not competent to operate/drive it, or something along those lines.

So, maybe the insurance man will not get involved in opening up/disassembling the press for similar reasons - he literally only 'inspects' it.

Karen
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2004 22:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Sorry, I should add, so I am really not sure why other presses can be opened by your own competent tradesmen but the SMV one can't although I understand why the insurance man won't open them himself.

I have had past experience (with forklift trucks) where the insurance company surveyor and the forklift company that supplies and services the trucks disagree about the surveyor's findings, but won't talk directly to each other and the insurance company surveyor isn't happy to have the forklift company there while he carries out his surveys - leaving us like piggy in the middle!

Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2004 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sharon
We are not asking the insurance man to open up the press, we only want our own skilled and competent tradesmen to open up the press. Our tradesmen do repair the press if it breaks down so I can't get my head around why the insurance man wants SMV to open the press up! And to top it all SMV are based in Sweden!!

We have spoke to SMV and they say that its manufacturers recs only, they do not have to be carried out to the "T".

So I'm not sure who is right and who is wrong here if anyone??