Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2004 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ronnie hindle can any help my wife works in a residents care home and she is very concerned that there has been no manual handling training, fire training i.e told where assembly points are etc. correct me if i am wrong but manual handling training should be the top priority in a industry that manually handles people? if a care worker was to strain her back whilst doing such a task the company would be breaking a number of Health and Safety Regulations,and also open to compensation claims, my wife might not take my word for it so i would like advice in print from this forum. many thanks Ron.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2004 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Hi Ron You are correct. These are significant hazards in a care home and as such risk assessments must be completed and training given etc. If equipment is provided for manual handling they must also receive training on correct use.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2004 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Ronnie - There are very stringent requirements regarding H&S issues including manual handling, fire etc. these form part of the registration requirements and inspected by the Care Standards Commission with whom the premises should be registered. you are right to be concerned and if there is some trepidation about talking to the registered manager - a phone call to the local EHO may set things in motion regarding advice etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2004 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston As above These are very basic but essential requirements. As with any training course it needs to be specific to the needs. For example manual handling in how to lift people not just boxes. The manual handling training must also demonstrate how to use the hoist and slings etc! Many care establishments have a "minimal lifting policy" which means most if not all lifting is conducted by hoists, thus reducing the amount of physical effort. Same issues for fire, the training must be specific, not just the basic where to go. Many care establishments have zones that are vacated in a graudal basis as well as disabled refuges etc. As with any essential training it should be conducted aupon recruitment AND at regular intervals.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2004 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg. Ronnie, the Care Home in question is in danger of breaching several Health and Safety regulations, not to mention failing to comply with the guidelines set out by CSCI (Commission for Social Care Inspection - formally known as NCSC The National Care Standards Commission). I suggest the Registered Manager for the home must be alerted to the deficiencies that could potentially jeopardise the future of the home, the safety of the staff that work there and the people that reside within. Hope this helps!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 July 2004 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee The All Wales Manual Handling Training Passport and Information Scheme is based on a partnership between the all-Wales Trust Manual Handling Advisers Group and the Health and Safety Executive. It gives a common standard for MH training that is portable between employers. This is being extended to the residential care sector who are now being encouraged to participate (via a partnership project between HSE in Wales and Welsh local authorities). I believe there is interest in this from the English trusts and care sector. For more details see http://www.wales.nhs.uk/...ual_handling_passpor.pdf
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 July 2004 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By philip storey i believe that you can access the care homes last care standards visit on www.csci.org.uk you can also look at the standards all care homes are required to meet. i'm sure this health and safety issue is covered in standard 38 'safe working practices'
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2004 17:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sue Maleedy Hi Ron, I am currently in a Health & Safety role working for a Housing Association with 2 residential care homes and nursing home. Yes the home in question is certainly not complying with mandatory training requirements, but why has this not been identified by Commission Inspectors?? As has been previously suggested it would be worth a look at the last inspection report!!! All our homes have 2 inspections a year 1 announced and 1 unannounced and the same should apply to all. Its your wifes employer that needs to read this forum.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 26 July 2004 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jez Corfield The Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI) is primarily concerned with the safety of service users, NOT staff, that still remains the enforcement responsibility of LA/HSE. Naturally if manual handling training is not done correctly then that might affect service user safety, so if CSCI did raise a comment in a report then it would be on that basis alone, not because of the safety implications to staff. Jez Corfield
Admin  
#10 Posted : 26 July 2004 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sue Maleedy Jez, Yes I understand that the principle concern of visiting inspectors is the safety of service users. The foundation of which is to comply with training requirements (Standard 27-30)to ensure staff are competent to do their jobs. The two areas go hand in hand if the staff are not safe you can guarantee the service users are at risk too and in my experience inspectors are always eager to ensure we comply with minimum standards. Sue.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 26 July 2004 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Huffadine Just a quick reinforcement of the point made by Jez. In November 2002 a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the HSE, the Local Government Association and the NCSC (now CSCI) to clarify the split between enforcing authorities. This showed quite clearly (Annex A) that the HSE/LA is responsible for Employee Safety and the NCSC is responsible for service-user safety (unless there is serious/imminent risk). That's the theory. In practice, however, I have found that LA inspectors do nothing other than Food Safety, and the NCSC do what they like. There do not seem to be any clear lines of demrcation.