Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline Ironside Is there anything a self employed person would need to have to errect scaffolding? The scaffolding is not particularly high but part on a public path. Just wondered what regulations would need to be taken into consideration.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2004 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James K From an Irish point of view, the contractor would need the required CSCS for scaffolding (Level 1 or 2 depending on the height that the scaffold is going) They would also need permission from the local authoprity and the police both of these would grant the required permits etc. I would also advise that the method statement took into account, along with the regular items such as overhead lines, adjacent structures etc, a system for traffic and pedestrian management and what fail safe system that you would have in place to ensure that members of the public do not get hurt etc. Also check the insurance details to ensure that the contrators insurance allows for work of this type. Sorry I cannot type longer but I have just been summoned to the managers office...woe is me eh? Jim
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2004 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline Ironside Hi Jim, We are in Scotland. The scaffolding is being used to point a garage and is being used only by the one self employed person, there are no contractors etc. It is a small part onto a public pavement, so on no road etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2004 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter still need permission from Council Roads Authority, who will ask for dates/duration, and give you guidance on the measures you will have to take to protect footpath users.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2004 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James K I find that it is usually on these types of contracts that people get hurt or injured. Caroline,I would approach this small task ni the same manner that I would undertake a larger job. I would carry out a risk assessment on the job, paying particular attention for any overhead lines and any other ways that the worker himself could get hurt. I would then pay very close attention to how a member of the public could get hurt. There is a small trend at the moment in Ireland whereby we can see a small number of people only too glad to have an "accident" or a "slip,trip,fall" and put in a claim for damages and/or injuries. Be very carefull when dealing with the public and working adjacent to public aras. It is easy to be wise in hindsight. Jim
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2004 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Daly Just for the record if you wish to erect scaffold on the footpath in the Irish Republic you must have a level 2 ticket. I think you are in danger of making a mountain out of a molehill. This scaffold is not going to be up for very long. Just use your common sense, if there is an obvious danger ie a tube sticking out across the footpath or a trip hazard etc. Tnen do something about it I would however suggest that you take a photo of the scaffolding. Yours Martin Daly