Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2004 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Hello all I am thinking of going self-employed in the not so distant future and have a couple of questions regarding the following topics. Before I start I will let you know I am based in the Manchester area. If I was to offer some form of in-house training that is specifically designed for individual companies and individual subjects, what are things I need to consider apart from my own competence to do so which will already be covered before embarking on these tasks. 1. Do I need to any other forms of insurance? 2. What should I do about certification proof etc? 3. What courses are best to steer clear from, as insurance companies may not accept them i.e. Forklift? 4. I am unclear but is RSP the minimum to deliver IOSH Managing safety or does MIOSH and Tech SP qualify along with CPD. 5. Any marketing or other tips for a hoping consultant would be welcome. (Apart from get out of Manchester) 6. Any warnings would be more than welcome. Famous quotes, off the subjects, spell checking, is welcome as I have enjoyed many of the debates, which can show some humour and humanity in what is perceived as a tweed-coats and beards profession. Jason Gould comprised this message. Jason Gould is an equal opportunity advice seeker who loves sitting on the fence. Responders with no letters or many letters after their name are welcome to respond along with the higher intellectual and those bordering dyslexic like himself. All responders’ advice is welcome whether it comes from a Nebosh background, NVQ, Degree or from the pure experienced members. Jason also feels that Jeremy Clarkson is still a pretty funny guy and would rather drink with him than Peter Mandleson. Cheers Jason (the weasel watching the eagles)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2004 14:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jason I wish you all the best in your venture, but if it goes pear-shaped, consider these wise words: "You tried your best, and you failed miserably, the lesson is, never try" (Homer Simpson) Well you did invite irrelevant quotes! Kind regards Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2004 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Caboche Jason, I work for a private training company that generally specilaises in rail and construction training but offers some bespoke courses, We issue our own certificates, generally valid for 2-3 years dependent on the course. The certificates we offer are certificates of training achievement (similar in nature to the CITB old CTA certificates). These are based on written and observed assessment, at the end of the courses (our trainers are all D32/33 or A unit asssesors as well as trainers). In terms of delivery, you must have experience and credibility for your chosen subject, backed up with both academic and training qualifications. Insurance wise, profesional indemnity is a must, and it must cover you for training as well. Employers liability as well probably, depends if you are a one man band or not. If you intend to train construction related subjects speak to your local CITB office regarding grant eligability, not difficult to get them to approve courses for grants and it will make your courses more attractive to prospective clients if they are going to get money back on their investment. Hope this helps John PS Got to agree with you regarding Mr Clarkson as a drinking companion rather than Peter Mandleson, (or any politicion for that matter......)but my first choice would be Nicole Kidmann........
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2004 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Many thanks Nick & John and I wish you both all the best aswell. Now going of the subject my favorite quote is:- Play the little man, Don't let them know your coming. Quoted by ???????? Film ???????? 50 points for first one to answer :) Spelling errors of name or film will not be accepted.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2004 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jason Al Pacino, Devil's Advocate. Top film. Regards Nick
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2004 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Well done Nick Now what about a remake with a safety officer instead of a lawyer, ooops forgot that happens all the time already. Jason
Admin  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2004 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jason Sounds great. I can just see the devil being followed around by some bloke with a beard and leather patches on the elbows of his tweed jacket, asking for a COSHH assessment on brimstone. Regards Nick
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2004 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I was thinking on the lines of (now being very controversial). The safety officer asked to mitigate some very genuine claims, his conscious in some of his actions when torn between his employer and his gut instincts that something’s are just not right. The perfect ground for Al Pacino to step in on the sidelines as the consultant called in to help. The plot thickens as Al has longer letters after his name than our poor junior safety manager and the company put more trust in this mysterious consultant and his cost cutting advice and ready-made RA's. The epilogue being a major accident where Jeremy Clarkson had run some employee over on the car park and the safety manager has to make key decisions. hehehehehehehehe Luv it
Admin  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2004 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd I really hope H&S isn't seen as tweed jackets and beards brigade as I reckon the no. of women going into the profession is increasing rapidly (none of whom have beards or tweed jackets!). I think about 1/3 of my cert class were women and probably about the same for my dip 1. However, when people ask what I do and I say H&S, the response is generally, "Oh no". Even if I say, "Don't panic, I'm not an inspector" the response can still be lukewarm. However, I've not seen many women on construction sites: I've seen 2 safety officers, 1 architect and 1 woman repairing damage to cladding (and she was the only woman I've ever seen doing manual work on a site). I wonder what health and safety would be called if it became female dominated. Would it still be called the tweed jackets and beards brigade? ;) Am exploring something similar to yourself Jason as I've been asked to do some associate consultancy work, so exploring all that that entails, insurance, etc. and also what other opportunities it might open up, so wish you all the very best. You should also see what grants you could get. In NI you get £500 for starting a PT business and £700 I think for starting a FT business. Suggest you contact your local enterprise centre. They also run starting a business courses (which you have to do to get the grant) and help you do your financial planning and are basically just there on the end of the phone if you need them. See http://www.startups.co.uk http://www.investni.com/...t-information-centre.htm http://www.investni.com/...entre/useful_links-2.htm Karen BEng(hons), PGDip, TechSP, AMIMechE but hopefully soon to be CEng, MIMechE, Dip2.OSH, MIOSH!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2004 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Karen Didn't mean to be sexist. I have dealt with many excellent female safety people, a number of which did indeed have beards and tweed jackets. Kind regards Nick
Admin  
#11 Posted : 24 July 2004 11:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd LOL Jason - will this employee who gets run over be wearing swimming goggles at the time? Karen
Admin  
#12 Posted : 24 July 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Killjoy Once again, a reasonable request by a forum user has been hi-jacked. Some of the reponses have even bordered on being humourous, and this simply cannot be tolerated within our profession. If it does not cease immediately, then this will be my last post on here, and I believe the forums will be worse for my absence. Yours pompously and self-righteously A Killjoy
Admin  
#13 Posted : 24 July 2004 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Nothing for it then - I'll have to put myself at high risk of crush injuries and see if I can pick up a nice tweed jacket at the Next sale today. Karen
Admin  
#14 Posted : 24 July 2004 15:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Yes Karen Swimming goggles could have a contributory factor as Jeremy might have been wearing them to read the articles in the press mocking the safety professional and about Local authority inspectors knocking down gravestones on behalf of Al Pacino. Al Pacino also enlists the help of the claim companies and reps creating the great none existent compensation culture. But our hero seeks help from the under resourced HSE and the in touch HSC members. Nine in total each bearing a ring of sorts. However these are controlled by one man and one man only, (the suspense). A strange man is this man for he is the VOLUNTEER. (Looked after by no one and seeks no reward). He makes his demands, Consultation Takes place, then an ACOPS. The hoards of employers step forward to take battle. Its a bloody mess the wounded lick their wounds. (There were no winners) But wait, there’s a second part coming here. Yes its been revealed! More safety Legislation has come from Peter Mandleson, the great lord of Europe. Stay tuned. Got to go now and speak with my shrink, I seem to need him more & more these days.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 24 July 2004 15:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jason/Karen We must find something else to do with our Saturdays, this is getting increasingly bizarre. Wait until the grown-ups come back on Monday morning, we'll get slaughtered for having this much fun....... Here is a pre-emptive strike: "Man is distinguished from all other creatures by the faculty of laughter." (Joseph Addison) Regards Nick
Admin  
#16 Posted : 24 July 2004 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I need this humour when I am spending my saturday catching up on some late DDA reports due to a comptuer fault midweek. How else could I have survived when mates are in the pub and I have four kids aged 8 to 12 running behind me using my head as a target for their new Dr Occ claws and crossbow. Its been fun