Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2004 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New Members may be interested to see the various HSE letters of response to the number of press comments about health and safety. (Including the comments made by Jeremy Clarkson). Have a look at HSE website, click on 'whats new' and open 'HSE Press Office - putting the record straight'
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2004 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I saw that, and I thought the response was a bit dry and didn't recognise the fact that Clarkson's article was supposed to be humorous. There's a danger of giving Clarkson more sticks to beat us with if we don't lighten up.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2004 17:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Granger You don’t get it do you… He is one of us! I wonder how many safety managers are behind the scenes making sure that his ridicule does not go too wrong? I think his obvious disguise as a 1970’s poodle permed risk taker is to be congratulated. He has probably done more for H&S marketing than most of us put together. What you didn’t know is that beneath the extroverted fast living exterior lies a traditional shop floor safety officer, waiting to return to his roots after a number of years under cover. I think we should ‘out’ him now by singing his praise for promoting risk management and putting H&S in the spotlight, albeit in an unconventional way. Steve Granger
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2004 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Hi Steve, nice to see you in here. How are the South Downs doing? Yes, I've been thinking Jeremy would make a good safety rep in the logistics department here...
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2004 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I once had an employee who was a competition rally driver. His most spectacular crash (somersault with tuck and double twist) was televised - he came out with a couple of broken bones in his hand. While he was recovering I suggested to management that he give a few presentations on safe driving. For me it was obvious that he was highly trained and highly skilled and could teach us a few things about survival on the roads. Management was horrified !!! Now if we were to ask dear Jeremy to talk to us about safe driving ... ? By the way, we all know who "the blessed Delhia" is, what can we suggest for Jeremy - the "Venerable Jeremy" perhaps ?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2004 14:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By fats van den raad Merv.. Hi there, yes I'm still on the game..or should that be "in". Anyway, I am sure that Mr. Clarkson will be wonderfully successful in promoting safe driving and safety in general. I am sure he is a frustrated safety officer. After all I do remember reading somewhere that some research done many moons ago showed an abnormally high occurrence of safety professionals listing what would be considered "dangerous" as their favourite leisure activities, such as mountaineering, motorcycling, skydiving, etc. This was apparently in comparrison with other professions. So, with that in mind, Mr Clarkson will fit in very comfortably. PS. My name is Fats and I can't spell.!!