Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Have a laugh with this website that ridicules Government advice on emergencies: www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2004 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser It was on the Radio 4 news last night - missed the actual report but apparently the govt took a dim view . . . Still, got to laugh, eh?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2004 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Great site - enjoyed it immensely. Thanks! Hilary
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2004 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes Minted!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2004 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. well if the governments version has half the nation s*****G themselves at least this evens it out with the other half P*****g themselves.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2004 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I'm old enough to remember the last time they did this - they fitted pubs with four-minute warning bells and advised us to fill our draws with earth (chest of drawers type drawers)
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2004 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald Merv Please explain the soil in the drawers. Peter
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 July 2004 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. We were told back in the early sixties that in the event of a nuclear attack to lie face down and cover our heads with our arms and not to look up as it would blind us. There was nothing mentioned about heat or radiation but at least we wouldnt have gone blind. Ho happy days of ignorant bliss
Admin  
#9 Posted : 31 July 2004 02:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer The pathetic irony for the people is the threat and the cost to the community that resulted in the publication of this incongruous pamphlet could have been avoided. The UK government at a great cost again blindly followed the dictates of an avaricious, manipulative, paranoid, indulgent, anthropocentric administration, which represents the worst possible outcomes for the global community. The wisdom espoused by people like ‘the little banzi’ and his cohorts all from the oil industry is that there was even more money to be had if a good enough excuse could be found to plunder Iraq. The irony is that US foreign policy created the ‘demon’ that became Sadam Hussein. There is no denying recently political historically records the US came to the aid of Europe in two world wars. The question to be asked is when will the debt be paid? European Britain should now stand with its EU partners and stop being the automatic seconder in any motion made by the US administration. The booklet is a symptom of continued indulgence of US foreign policy. Can Britain continue to run with fox, yet hunt with the hounds? Richard
Admin  
#10 Posted : 31 July 2004 06:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack I thought the UK was just following the Australian 'Let's Look Out for Australia' campaign, which I believe also concentrated on the bleedin' obvious (but at least you got free fridge magnets). How was that received in Australia, Richard?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 31 July 2004 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Now I think its public knowledge that if you wanted to attack Australia and cause some real fuss, do it at 1530 on Friday, any Friday will do because every man and his dog forgets about work on Friday afternoon, and heads for home, pub, club and out of town for the resorts, even in winter (today we had 21 degrees in Sydney). Most Australians indulge and believe in living life to the fullest, and what ever that passion is, good wine, good food, getting outdoors when ever possible, mostly going bush or the beach and dare I say with a good looking chick, if you happen to be single (mind you I’ve slowed up a bit on the chicks, but I still like a good West Aust Cabernet Sauvignon). We are a population of 20 million, trying to emulate our ‘Yankee Masters’ and its too ludicrous for most Australians to take seriously. You will note we have been involved in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Timor, but only on a small scale and ‘little Johnny’ had been extremely careful not to loose many diggers. Australia’s are hardworking, hard playing, and very tolerant of most things, but there are limits and I don’t think our administration had yet to reached a point where they are threatened. Mark Latham is still learning the game but he could get up at the next election, but I have my doubts. I have not see a little ‘red book’ similar to the one the Blair government published but, give it time we might even get your second hand throw outs. Will common sense prevail? I doubt it. Richard
Admin  
#12 Posted : 31 July 2004 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack No apparently we followed your lead! See this from the Guardian: “Last year the Australian government sent a booklet, entitled Let's Look Out for Australia, to every home, explaining what to do in the event of a terrorist attack, and warning people to look out for suspicious vehicles, people purchasing large quantities of fertiliser, and "unusual videotaping" of official buildings. The A$15m (£6m) campaign involved packs which included a fridge magnet bearing an anti-terrorist hotline number for every kitchen, and gave instructions on first aid, assembling a survival kit, and making emergency plans to collect children from school and to check on elderly neighbours. Some Australians were moved to return their "terror kits", and critics condemned the campaign as an exercise in stating the "blindingly obvious".” I did a google search and there it was: http://www.nationalsecur...B9E6497CA256CC100797443/$file/ntlbooklet.pdf So you won't need our cast offs!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 01 August 2004 21:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simone Granger Hey Richie whats with the macho stuff? Most Australians getting outdoors with a good looking chick? Ain't us Sheilas Ozzie?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 02 August 2004 01:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Jack I see what you mean, but in truth I never saw this publication. In any event my gripe is, why did we make ourselves a target. It is no secret that in Australia the Muslim community tend to live in certain areas of Sydney and other capital cities and as a community do not generally interact with main stream Australians. Radical Muslims are watched by our secret service and we take the threat very seriously. It is also a fact that there is a general distrust of Muslims because of the doctrine espoused by radical leaders here and overseas and the continuous violet acts against ordinary people tends. The main problem as I see it is this, whilst most Muslims live in peace with the broader community, there is no knowing who or when certain individuals will decide to ‘turn’ radical and cause violent acts in the name of Islam against its ‘parent’ community. It’s in some ways like living with, ‘the enemy within’. I guess for most Aussies, the problem is too difficult and therefore it is generally left alone, but in saying that, the general perception here is that Muslims are here for a better life because of the stress in their countries. However, our way of life, being in the main hedonistic, with its broad freedoms, particularly for women is entirely opposite to Muslim beliefs. Their society is interwoven with their religious belief and this is demonstrated in there everyday religious way of life that broadly speaking has not changed in 1400 years. Recall the changes in Britain since the 6th Century by comparison? Here in Sydney recently, a group of Muslims sought to break from the ‘ghettos’ they have created and build a ‘pray hall’ in the affluent belt of North West Sydney’s Hills area. It was opposed by the residents as thousands signed a petition to prevent it. However, they found the money to fight this in court and the residents were overruled and the prayer hall is being constructed. This for many Christian or non Muslims represents another potential place where Muslims can be indoctrinated in hate for Western Values. From what I have seen on Sky, there are a few problems in the UK in recent times. I don’t know what the answer is but one things is for sure, its not going away any time soon, and the ‘little red book’ put out by the Howard Government was and remains too little to late. Richard
Admin  
#15 Posted : 02 August 2004 01:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Spencer Simone Hey mate, Apologies mate! I thought I was writing for a Brit audience, I had no idea there were Aussie Sheilas out there in pommy land. A thousand apologies for calling you a chick, although in defence, this Americanism has crept into the Aussie vernacular in recent times. How long have you been over in the old country? Are you working in OHS? Did you study here first then go O/Seas? Where’s home? Richard
Admin  
#16 Posted : 02 August 2004 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt Richard, Quote "The main problem as I see it is this, whilst most Muslims live in peace with the broader community, there is no knowing who or when certain individuals will decide to ‘turn’ radical and cause violent acts in the name of Islam against its ‘parent’ community. It’s in some ways like living with, ‘the enemy within’." I'm not entirely sure this is a purely Muslim issue - what about fundamentalist / extremist white "Christian" groups in the states (and the UK)? I have a problem with extremist behaviour generally, but we just seem to be hung up on Muslim acts of terrorism at the present (I suppose in the UK, we must have forgotten the many years of Christian terrorist action due to the various factions in Northern Ireland. They are mostly "respectable" polititians now) Regards, as ever. James