Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2004 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Wright Can anyone tell me the current legal obligations (if any)regarding the driver training of compnay car drivers i.e. defensive driver training. Is there any iminent legistlation coming out that will impact on this subject.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2004 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood No Peter - this will be the result of a general risk assessment for your co. drivers, which should include the need for relevant training. This should go hand in hand with a Co. guidnace doc for drivers, laying out the acceptable standards for drivers and vehicles. I can mail you a generic if you wish. All this is seen as a tall order for most companies but the larger ones do have these controls and trains high mileage drivers through RoSPA and 'Drive & Survive' courses. I have had these for 9 years now and they changed my driving behaviour permanently!! Regards, George
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2004 12:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Hurst Hi I work for a local authority and we are looking into this subject at the minute as well. We are in the process of producing policies and guidance notes for our drivers, both of leased vehicles and also tradesmen in their vans, etc. Some parts of the service units provide advanced driver training as part of an individual assessment for the drivers concerned, others don't as yet and we are trying to ensure a consistent approach. There was an interesting article in a recent edition of Fleet Weekly (07/07/04) which discussed how a "driver handbook saves firm from court", this specifically spoke of the issue of using a mobile phone whilst driving, but the concept of a driver handbook may be something to consider in a broader sense? Also, George would you be able to forward onto me a copy of your generic document, just out of interest? Thanks David
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2004 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc Just a sideways thought on this one, I dealth with a firm who organised defensive driver training with a local firm. The end result; RTA's went up 20%. It became clear that the drivers having been trained believed that they were better drivers, and actually took more risks. Hindsight - check out the company you may use if you consider defensive driver training. I believe this was a poor training company, not a poor safety idea.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2004 08:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James B Before entering into full-on training you could look at some form of assessment. In my last job we identified a group of regular drivers who travelled over a specified mileage and put them through a one-day assessment with The Institute of Advanced Motorists. This then highlighted any needs for additional/further training. Regards, James
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2004 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt Peter, The company I worked for prior to where I am now had a policy of sending anyone who drove (or looked likely to drive) more than 5000 business miles per year on a "Driving for Business" course (Used to be called defensive driving, but this apparently gives the wrong impression about the purpose of the course). I think this followed a risk assessment as our department used to do about 500 000 hire car miles per year. The one day course was run by the Institute of Advanced Motorists and I thought it very useful as they told you to drive normally (not necessarily a good idea - i think I scared the instructor ) and then gave you a critique of your driving and gave advice on how to drive safer. The day was spent mainly in the car and so was very “hands on”. One point is that if you are going to offer training like this, refresher training should also be considered as some of my bad habits have crept back into my driving style (although not all of them, thank goodness!) Regards James