Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2004 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Cartridge A small ( less than 5 employees) industrial cleaning company is having payment witheld by a customer because they have no H&S Policy although the work has been carried out to the customers satisfaction. Bully Boy Tactics or a stall not to pay ?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2004 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson A bit of both I'd say. You mention that they have fewer than 5 employees so you know there's no legal requirement to have a written policy, and anyway it has nothing to do with the contract unless it was specified as a pre-requisite. Even then, if the job's done I can't see how payment can be withheld. They'd get a CCJ in their favour I'm sure.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2004 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson Although there is no requirement under the legislation it is still good practice to have a safety policy even if it is statement of intent.Check the HSE website where you will find a leaflet called an 'Introduction to Health and Safety' which has a template for writing such a policy. The leaflet is free to download. I agree though a solicitor should be consulted about payment. Regards Robert Paterson
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 August 2004 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd A stall not to pay me thinks. Surely the time to enquire about arrangements for H&S and ask for a copy of the policy is before the award of the contract, not after the job's been completed? Or have they another agenda for wanting to get a copy of the H&S policy at this stage (maybe to cover their behind, as they should have got it first)? Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 August 2004 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan If there was a contract and the terms of the contract have been met to the satisfaction of the customer then of course they have to pay.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2004 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods Althoug they shouldn't have to; get them to download a copy of stating your business from the HSE website. Then get them to hire the debt collector featured on TV who covers himself in urine and other smelly stuff and follows the debtor everywhere until they pay up.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 August 2004 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By NIGEL REE Without a doubt a tactic to delay payment, any reference to the need for a H&S policy should have been noted at contract stage. Just another excuse from large companies to delay payment. Nigel
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 August 2004 11:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Small Claims Court, I think! There is no reason to withold payment unless a genuine claim for shoddy work or a breach in any written or verbal contract (probably none for this type of work) could be proven. This is a stall, probably due to ignorance and I am sure the Client has been misled by their employee as to the circumstances. If they persist in non-payment, simply follow the procedure laid down for Small Claims - a good procedure can be found at the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/cri...w/smallclaimscourt.shtml) and send a (polite) formal registered letter to the Chairman/MD asking for a response within a definite timeframe such as 7 days. Regards, George
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 August 2004 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Ellwood Sorry guys but I think the industrial cleaning company has got it wrong. If I was employing them I would want to know that that they have carried out RA's for COSHH, Manual Handling, Work Equipment, etc. If they have not done this they are operating like cowboys. The policy takes two minutes to download and fill in. So why is there an issue. I would say forget the requirement on this one and be practical.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 August 2004 17:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Mike, completely agree with you however the point is that this information should be requested during the purchasing decision process. Asking for it after completion of the work serves absolutely no purpose - other than delaying payment. I've worked for 50+ different companies all around europe, including the UK and no one has ever asked us for this kind of information or suggested a risk assessment. Sometimes, when looking at their contractor safety procedures, I have mentioned that we, as a contractor, really ought to be "risk assessed" Occasionally there is murmered agreement, usually the suggestion is laughed off. I have never understood why.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 06 August 2004 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc Please remember guys, that you do have to have a safety policy when you employ less than 5 people, it just doesn't have to be written. Arrange a meeting with the companies MD and explain your safety policy verbally, job done. Whilst it is easy to serve a writ in the civil court, maybe you should play them at their own game. Has anyone thought that maybe the larger company is actually trying to improve their own systems by demanding a safety policy from all contractors however it is still a new system and hasn't taken into account the little guy. Final advice, write a safety policy, I am sure you will be asked again in the future as more companies start to ask contractors for this information.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 06 August 2004 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman The point about even small companies having a safety policy is well taken but the absence of a policy does not allow the customer to refuse to pay the bill after the work has been satisfactorily completed. They can refuse to buy the goods or services but once bought they must be paid for.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 06 August 2004 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt Did the contract between the two parties say you had to have a written policy in place? If so, would the company be within its rights to withhold payment as the cleaners have not met the terms of agreement? Just a question as I'm not a lawyer? All the best James