Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2004 18:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jennifer Kelly
Everyone

Realise this may have been asked before but cannot find the thread.

What duty exactly do companies have with regards to providing Prescription Safety Glasses?

Regards

Jennifer
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2004 18:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jennifer Kelly
Sorry I meant to say what are companies required to do with regards to the provision of Prescription Safety Glasses.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2004 08:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Terry Smyth
If the occupation of the wearer of such safety glasses warrants that the risk of the occupation requires personal protective equipment, the employer has a duty to provide free of charge,such safety glasses,complete with corrective lenses if necessary.

See MHASW Regs and PPE Regs

Regards

Terry
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 August 2004 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
This depends on how long the individual needs to wear eye protection. If they only need eye protection for a few minutes then a visor or over goggles may be more cost effective. If they need eye protection for a significant part of their working day, and normally wear glasses, then I would recommend giving them prescription safety glasses.

I would also suggest having a standard selection of prescription glasses to offer your employees. Do not let them get their own as they may not be up to spec (no pun intended). You should be able to get prescription safety glasses (with an existing prescription), including fitting for about £60.

Shane.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2004 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joanne Laing
Hi,

We have a number of engineers who we provide safety prescritpion glasses to - i've found the easiest way is to speak to specsavers (corporate) and buy prepaid vouchers for single vision prescription lenses. This way you are fulfilling your duty under the regs and if the employee wishes to "upgrade" they can.

We also use specsavers for eye sight tests under the DSE regs at £17 a test.

The vouchers are £184.05 for 5 vouchers (working out at £36.81 for presecription glasess, which is fairly inexpensive)

If you want any more info visit - www.specsavers.co.uk/corporate!

Hope this is of some help!!