Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2004 05:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By colin Hi, I was wondering what and where are the regulations for eating at a pc workstation ? What constitutes food/meal ? Can you eat a chocolate bar, pot noodle or sandwich etc? thanks Colin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2004 08:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JAMES MM Colin, I Have not come across any legislation with regards to eating at a pc desk but I do know that the crumbs may attract any beasties that are local and obviously the chance of leptospirosis will have to be considered in a risk assessment. Also you must take into consideration spillage that may damage the computer and potentially lose critical information. What you can do is put it in the employment contract that personnel are only to eat in designated areas. Can you afford to lose all the information from a PC because of spillage? Can that individual afford to lose his or her PC until you get a replacement? And I bet they will claim for their clothing if any fizzy pop or food ruins it because you allowed them to eat at their desk!!!! good luck James
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2004 08:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R W Byers You should look at the Health and Safety (Computer Workstation Food Consumption) Regulations 1996 (SI 6754). See Schedule 4 which lists which foodstuffs are acceptable. For example chocolate is ok (except Cadbury's Flake) but milky drinks and colas are not.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2004 08:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Colin, Funnily enough there was a piece on the radio this morning about this. Apparently people who eat at their desks ( and I assume workstations)face X thousand more bacteria, than if they took their food into the average toilet. This isn't a suggestion merely a comment! Incidently are those Regs mentioned by myfellow contributor for real? if so where can I read a copy. Ed
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2004 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By colin I too, know of the "toilet v Desk", its an article in the Scotsman I read extremely early this morning, totally by chance. The reason why I started this question was actually because of a question I read somewhere else about providing an eating area for employees and the question raised by the author was, what happens if the premises are small and dont have room/facillities, would that mean they have to move ? also if theres only 1, 2 or 3 employees, is an eating area required by regulations ? I couldn't find any info on actual law stopping food being eaten at the workstation, only advise. so thanks all, I'll look up the info you've supplied
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2004 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Colin, look at the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations for details about eating areas etc. To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs unless the place is absolutely filthy (and leptospirosis is likely to be a very very small risk). We are exposed to millions of different bacteria and viruses all day every day - supermarket trolley handles, air circulation systems, standing next to people at the bus stop etc etc etc. I speak as someone who has enough crumbs in her keyboard to reassemble a complete French stick and the simplest way to get shot of them is a pastry brush. I agree though that drinks may be a bigger problem and for this reason and for the fact that it's better for your health you could suggest that only water is drunk at the desk (you will probably see a marked reduction in headaches - staff may well have ascribed these to DSE use when in fact they're dehydrated). A PC engineer told me that water on a keyboard won't do any significant damage to the machine but that coffee, coke etc are the real problem, as they are sticky (obviously there's still an electrical issue though).
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2004 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Mc Nally Colin I have come across this previously. It is a bit of a problem but in my company our employees have been given their own canteen area where they are encouraged to eat their lunches etc. This was introduced as a result of the issues raised by the employees themselves. One of the main issues was in determining what was acceptable to eat in the office. For example we had some employees who liked to have curry flavoured pot noodles etc which were very pungent to others in the office especially on warm, humid days.(not clever when there are customers around) There was the issue of people taking hot food to their desks, also as has been discussed potential damage to PC and other office equipment. However, I think the main issue was to allow employees the opportunity to have a break from their workstation. I think it's very difficult to determine what should and shouldn't be consumed at workstations but for us the introduction of the canteen facility worked very well.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2004 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser For those who might not know, all UK (including devolved) government statute from 1987 is available on-line and in full at: http://www.hmso.gov.uk/ And yes, the regs referenced above were tongue-in-cheek!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2004 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By fats van den raad Whey-hey Sean, nothing gets past you hey!!! Only kidding. The above-mentioned regulation may be tongue in cheek.... AT THE MOMENT...... but I bet somewhere deep in the beurocratic bowels of Brussels a bored-senseless minor-Eurocrat is browsing through this very forum and thinking....." Vell... I Vonder.... Dat vould make a vonderfull directive!!!!!!"
Admin  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2004 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Heather Aston Loved the spoof regs - can't really believe anyone thought that was serious..... Personally I would ban pasties & sausage rolls too as I find the flaky pastry gets in between the keys and makes the keyboard greasy. I do agree however with those who've said it's a matter of common sense and dare I say it - risk assessment. There's far too much emphasis on "rules" in many organisations today, when really all we need to do is apply a little common sense to a situation such as this. I work in an office where we have nowhere else to go to eat unless the weather's nioe outside. The risks presented by this are minimal other than it not being good for me to spend my whole lunch break playing on the computer instead of having a break..... In workplaces where we have a canteen, we do ask staff not to eat hot meals at their desks - but as someone said above this is more to do with not wanting the smell of curry in the office for the rest of the day than it is to do with safety. Heather