Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2004 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff S Bottomley
Where does is say in any legislation that it is a requiment to wear a harness on a MEWP.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2004 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James K
I had reason recently to speak to a Health & Safety inspector from the H.S.A. here in Ireland regarding this same subject.
I was informed that there is no requirement in legislaion to wear a harness while operating an MEWP.
BUT
If the operator of the MEWP has an accident/incident which results in the inspector getting called out, and based on his/her risk assessment on the activity a harness should have been worn then the operator of the machine is in the wrong.
RISK ASSESSMENT is the key phrase here.
Remember a lot of MEWP operators use the side bars as a hop-up ( which they should not do ) to reach areas that are a little too high from the floor of the machine and therefore place themselves in a situation whereby a harness is vital.
Jim
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2004 08:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calum R Cameron

The HSE want FIXED LENGTH lanyards only in cherry's to act as a restraint and not as fall arrest-therefore eliminating the ability of the operative to climb on the mid rails and have not made up their minds for the use of harnesses in scissors.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 August 2004 08:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Drew
Geoff,

As far as I'm aware there is no legal requirement. However, as with all things each situation should be risk assessed on it's own merits.

I would refer you to HSE operational circular, OC 314/19, MEWPs and safety harness, which I have found very helpful. The guidance relates primarily to "cherry pickers" but is also relevant to "scissor lifts" if the operator is at risk of falling.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2004 09:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally
Geoff,

The HSE info sheet MISC 614 is worth a read too!
Preventing falls from boom type MEWP

It covers Fall Protection Systems with MEWP. I can email you direct if you can't find it on the HSE web.

I did the IPAF course a few years back as I often found myself telling operators to wear a harness. I was pointed out, politely in most cases, that the harness was more of a hindrance. I wanted to get a better appreciation from the operator’s perspective so I went on the course.

Great course and I even managed to get a ticket (don’t think many fail). The course was good, but a bit basic and I would recommend managers check log books for experience and don’t just rely on the card as proof of competence. I did need the card to hire a MEWP about 12 months later when I stupidly volunteered to cut down a very large tree which was overhanging a dear old neighbours house and guess what……….

I did wear a full body harness with fixed lanyard (no bungee), Ok so you needed to ensure you didn't trip over the thing but it made me feel a good deal safer and had the MEWP run over an obscured log or went down a hole it did reduce risk of being thrown out. Some will argue that being attached to the carrier gives no chance of escape, but unless your over water I can’t see any other reason not to be clipped on.

Hope this of help

Ian