Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2005 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Oxley I need to source an orbital sander, but to minimise the risk of VWF I want to find a reliable database which gives an example of the in-use readings taken before I purchase. I don't want to buy a piece of kit and then find through taking readings myself that it exceeds 2.8m/s2 (A8) and wastes money. Does anyone know of a suitable database.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2005 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Margaret Stokes Nick If you visit http://www.consultnet.ie/vibration.htm you will finds lots of information on the subject and links to the Centralised European Database which is very comprehensive. Regards Margaret
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2005 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen D. Clarke Nick, The following website is quite good: http://umetech.niwl.se/sv/default.lasso Steve
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2005 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie If you are looking to purchase equipment the manufacturer should be providing this information in his literature. However, the value which should be quoted is just about to change. At present the manufacturer can quote what is called the "dominant axis" after July he will have to quote waht is called the "vector sum". I have seen some research that estimates that vector sum will be between 1.4 and 1.7 times the dominant axis. (So you need to know what figure you are using) After July the Action value will be 2.5 metres per second squared not 2.8 and the 8hr limit value will be 5 meters per second squared. As a further complication the HSE will expect you to factor the manufacturers figures (brand new tool - ideal conditions, etc) to take account of wear and tear this is normally by multiplying the manufacturers figure by between 1.4 and 1.5. Once you have calculated your expected exposure level you can then use the vibration calculator in the HSE web site to calculate how long you can be exposed in a day. I hope that this somewhat long explanationis of use. Regards
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2005 18:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john j park Martin where could one reference the information you have provided regarding the "dominant axis Vs the vector sum values regards john
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 May 2005 21:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie John, From the HSE web Site (Vibration section) the following "The vibration total value is greater than the dominant axis magnitude by a factor of between 1.0 and 1.7, but has been found to be about 1.4 on average. Thus, the current action level of 2.8 m/s2 A(8) is approximately 4 m/s2 A(8) expressed as a vibration total value. This means that the current action level lies between the proposed exposure action and limit values" Hope this helps sorry for any spelling errors trying to get back ti the Liverpool game
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2005 09:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Daniel Nick - You'll find the swedish database actually hasn't been updated for several years and in that time most power tools have changed, if they were on anyway. My own experience is that some manufacturer's data - e.g Bosch is very good whereas some is completely inaccurate. One tool from a US manuacturer we found which was supposed to be very low vibration turned out to vibrate much more than the Bosch tools in use. Previous respondents have explained all the "fudge factors" you need to apply but in my view the level of uncertainty this gives you means that the only sure way to make an assessment is to measure. The HSE/HSC avoid this conclusion because they gave a commitment in introducing the Regs that they would not result in a need for extensive and expensive measurement (ref HSC meeting minutes & papers).....