Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nicholas Hollingshea  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2011 11:28:46(UTC)
Nicholas Hollingshea

Hi all I was wondering if anyone knows the definitive minimum distance between desks?
Andrew W Walker  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2011 11:58:07(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Not sure if there is a definitive minimum. The DSE regs states that: The workstation shall be dimensioned and designed so as to provide sufficient space for the operator or user to change position and vary movements. If people are crammed in so that there is an issue with space you may need to look at The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992, section 10. Regards Andy
Safety Smurf  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2011 12:04:45(UTC)
Safety Smurf

Hi Nicholas, Can you please confirm, do you mean how much space the person sitting at the desk needs? Many desks are set out in pods and may well be touching another 3 desks.
Nicholas Hollingshea  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2011 12:58:56(UTC)
Nicholas Hollingshea

Hi Safety smurf, The desks are cunrrently in banks of 4 and 6, and i have read that 800mm or 1000mm is the minimum?
Ron Hunter  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2011 13:25:59(UTC)
Ron Hunter

RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) have definitive guidance widely applied in new and refurb designs. You could ask your local friendly architect. I seem to recall CIBSE have similar. On a day-to-day basis, it's usually what people will put up with. Different matter if this is a fire lane or disabled access is required though.
Ron Hunter  
#6 Posted : 29 June 2011 13:28:44(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Topical (well, South of the Border anyway) Just noticed CIBSE have "keeping cool in a heat wave" briefing docs. as free downloads in their publication section.
walker  
#7 Posted : 29 June 2011 13:48:42(UTC)
walker

Does HSG57 help?
walker  
#8 Posted : 29 June 2011 13:50:07(UTC)
walker

ron hunter wrote:
Topical (well, South of the Border anyway) Just noticed CIBSE have "keeping cool in a heat wave" briefing docs. as free downloads in their publication section.
Saw you post - thought the downloads might be useful Talk about stating the obvious!
Ron Hunter  
#9 Posted : 29 June 2011 15:33:59(UTC)
Ron Hunter

A but Walker, In this life, if you can publicise that 'obvious' just one time, it can avoid people asking and you having to answer that 'obvious' all Summer long. I'm sure we all eventually grow tired of those repetitive seasonal too hot/ too cold calls.
NickTaggart  
#10 Posted : 29 June 2011 16:10:34(UTC)
NickTaggart

Reg 11 of the Workplace Regs (L24) covers workstations and seating, there is no minimum space given but there must be enough space for the person to have adequate freedom of movement and to leave it quickly in the event of an emergency Reg 10 gives minimum space of 11 cubic meters per person when looking at how many people can be placed in a room, you also have to take account of the amount of furniture is present
jay  
#11 Posted : 29 June 2011 16:48:56(UTC)
jay

I very much doubt there is a prescribed distance. Architects use anthroprometric tables for desk/chair layout. Overall, fire escape requirements, the 11 m3 ACoP requirement of Regulation 10 (The text of the regulation does not prescribe any figures!) etc will dictate the requirements In many open plan offices you may have a 2 banks of desks that have no seperation except a dividing 5 mm partition.
TFCSM  
#12 Posted : 29 June 2011 17:34:36(UTC)
TFCSM

I cannot remember the guidance used but when I worked for my LA the desks, if they backed onto another had to have a distance of 1800mm and if the desk backed onto a wall the distance had to be 900mm.
Zyggy  
#13 Posted : 30 June 2011 08:33:56(UTC)
Zyggy

We use the following guidance which I believe was taken from RIBA: Chair Space: From desk edge nearest to occupant to ensure adequate chair space: ……..900mm For two employees with their chairs back to back…………(900mm x 2)=1800mm Aisle widths: Minor general office aisle ……………………………………………750mm Normal general office aisle ……………………………………………900mm Major general office aisle ……………………………………………1500mm `Filing Cabinets; (distance required in front) Single row …………………………………………………………900mm Two rows facing …………(add 1370mm to aisle width)… c.2120-2870mm Shelving Two rows facing each other……………………………………750-900mm Shelving which faces an aisle = width of shelving + required aisle width
jcrider  
#14 Posted : 18 November 2015 10:21:20(UTC)
jcrider

Zyggy wrote:
We use the following guidance which I believe was taken from RIBA: Chair Space: From desk edge nearest to occupant to ensure adequate chair space: ……..900mm For two employees with their chairs back to back…………(900mm x 2)=1800mm Aisle widths: Minor general office aisle ……………………………………………750mm Normal general office aisle ……………………………………………900mm Major general office aisle ……………………………………………1500mm `Filing Cabinets; (distance required in front) Single row …………………………………………………………900mm Two rows facing …………(add 1370mm to aisle width)… c.2120-2870mm Shelving Two rows facing each other……………………………………750-900mm Shelving which faces an aisle = width of shelving + required aisle width
Hello all, Apologies for replying to a 4 year old post, but we are now in a position where there is a lot of debate in the office re: desk space. I have looked on the RIBA website for the information referenced above, but can't find it. Is there a definitive web link which contains either these metrics or other newer metrics for the legal space requirements in an office. Specifically, the space between two pods of desks? Thanks, JC
sadlass  
#15 Posted : 18 November 2015 21:05:36(UTC)
sadlass

This thread had over 6,500 views in it's time. Current levels of views for threads are considerably less (3 figures). Does this mean this subject was so interesting to thousands of people, or that interest in the forum has generally declined?
Alex Hogg  
#16 Posted : 15 May 2018 08:46:58(UTC)
Alex Hogg

Perhaps the declined/lack of interest (at least for this topic) was due to there not being a single clear and difinitive answer.  As I have fouind to be the case.  Perhaps they found other resources to be more effective?

KieranD  
#17 Posted : 15 May 2018 09:00:28(UTC)
KieranD

Nicholas

The general response of Ragnar Loftstedt to questions posed by HM Government in 2010/11 about laws and regulaions on OSH was that the root issue concerns applying  the best quality available of scientific evidence.

While you have not indicated what the purpose(s) of desks you refer to are, the most useful sources of guidance on questions and answers about their uses at work are the publications of the safety/health ergonomist Stephene Pheasant (who died in 1996).  His main publciations are available at a modest price on Amaxon;  they include explanations not only of relevant physicology and anatomy but also fo anthropometrics, teh science of measurements of the bodes of men, women and children relevant to working task activities.