Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SallyOD  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2011 11:29:57(UTC)
SallyOD

I appreciate that excavations can under some circumstances be subject to toxic, asphixiating or explosive atmospheres and that chalk and limestone when coming into contact with groundwater can release Carbon dioxide, and that methane or hydrogen sulphide can seep in excavations and accumulate at the bottom of the trench. The question is how deep should a trench or hole have to be before gas detection/monitors is needed? Looking at 1.2m deep 700 mm wide holes? Anybody point be in the right direction please!
Derranlcm  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2011 15:28:06(UTC)
Derranlcm

hi sally, the question should not be a safe depth but the risk associated with the excavation. If we look at a greenfield site and a brownfield chemical site, the latter would obviously have more hazards present. I use to work around impacted contaminated ground and entering a trench in contaminated ground condition would need more than just gas detection, however the answer to your question on a known contaminated ground site - use a gas detector (for the gases/vapour you will be exposed to - so you need to be aware of possible chemicals and previous use) at all times regardless of depth. On a non-contaminated site (how can you prove this is the first question you need to ask), you may decide that after assessing the risks there would be no need for a gas detector for such a shallow depth (i.e no ground water, no utilities, greenfield site etc.) Although I would always use the hierarchy of controls and avoid entering into the trench in the first instance regardless it is green or brownfield. hope this helps Regards Derran
descarte8  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2011 16:07:53(UTC)
descarte8

Side note, and possibly unhelpful answer, but at the point which the trench becomes a confined space. Found this which may be useful: http://www.safetymanagem...to-a-Confined-Space.aspx General advice, also useful but OSHA based: http://www.toolboxtopics...%20Confined%20Spaces.htm Des
imwaldra  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2011 10:31:30(UTC)
imwaldra

From the quoted size of your hole, it's not obvious to me how someone in it could bend down and get their head below ground. If all breathing is in the open air, can you foresee any hazard at all? To add to the point, 4ft/1.2m is a typical standard depth below which, in a longer trench, confined space precautions should be considered in a brownfield or operating site with potential flammable releases or ground contamination. So if your max. depth is 1.2m, even if the hole was wider, then a significant hazard is pretty unlikely - and published guidance like OSHA could be used to justify that?
Grant1962  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2011 10:41:37(UTC)
Grant1962

My thoughts are that Trenches becoming confined spaces is very much site specific, generally as a rule of thumb people often think that a trench deeper than 1.25 metres becomes a confined space, but before running away with that idea remember that a confined space is a combination of the substanaces / or task being carried out and the nature of the space - Not just because it is a hole in the ground Have you ever seen Time Team using gas detection?
SallyOD  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2011 18:41:21(UTC)
SallyOD

Thanks guys, appreciate all the comments and advice.
bob youel  
#7 Posted : 15 August 2011 13:33:18(UTC)
bob youel

Time Team ; great program TT used gas detection in some workings in France