Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
auntysmash  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2011 13:13:23(UTC)
auntysmash

Just looking for a quick staw poll regarding options for fixing the various types of tag holder systems available for ladders or racking uprights. We have two opposing views here and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on t'internet: 1) Don't drill and rivet them on because the holes you make may affect the structural integrity of the ladder or racking (we're talking approx. four 4mm holes per tag) OR 2) Do drill and rivet them on because otherwise they may fall off / get knocked off / get nicked if cable ties or glue etc. are used instead Who is right? Ta
Vince  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2011 13:41:09(UTC)
Vince

I've always used strong glue and placed the tag holder on the inside of the stile and resting on the rung so there's clearance at the top to remove the insert as required. The positioning is such that they can't get knocked off.
Safety Smurf  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2011 13:52:55(UTC)
Safety Smurf

I certainly wouldn't advocate drilling holes for rivets, no matter how small. I'd put money on it that if 4mm (or 3.8mm) rivets are being used they are almost certainly aluminium (because they are cheap and common). This will increase susceptability to corrosion where the two differing materials meet.
MaxPayne  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2011 07:43:31(UTC)
MaxPayne

We don't use the tag type systems available simply because of the environment we operate in and the fact that they can be tampered with, removed or swapped between equipments so easily. We simply paint on a unique identifier, however I do know areas where the tags are used and are fixed with cable ties, which are so handy for a number of applications. Don't drill or rivet would be my advice.
AllanFS  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2011 08:02:24(UTC)
AllanFS

As MaxPayne mentioned the attachment of cable ties which are common in the Scaffold industry would properly be your best option. Rule out any interference and tampering with the construction of the ladder that could weaken the frame.On the painting of ladders, only do if the ladder is made of a metal material only. Applying paint to a ladder made of wood could damage the frame as the chemicals and solvents used in paint can cause corrosion.
martin1  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2011 10:25:13(UTC)
martin1

We cable tie to the ladder. We also mark ladder with a unique number ( just painted on ). Glue might be an option but we never use rivets or similar.
paul reynolds  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2011 12:47:35(UTC)
paul reynolds

Ladders and steps that we currently purchase already have a tag sleeve fitted, I believe they are CLOW ladders and steps
MaxPayne  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2011 13:32:39(UTC)
MaxPayne

paul reynolds wrote:
Ladders and steps that we currently purchase already have a tag sleeve fitted, I believe they are CLOW ladders and steps
That must come at a premium price I'd guess.
grim72  
#9 Posted : 30 September 2011 14:39:38(UTC)
grim72

We wouldnt recommend any riveting or drilling of ladders for our tags. We suggest cable ties as best option or a heavy duty glue/tape. If anyone wants details on the range drop me a pm and I'll send you a link. Rivets/screws are a good option on some equipment types but not for ladders in my opinion.