Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris.packham  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2011 21:48:51(UTC)
chris.packham

As it is still Friday, I thought I would try to start a discussion on a topic that might, perhaps, upset some on this forum, but that is one that has been exercising my mind for some time and that I would like to have some thoughts on from others. If we look back to the time when British industry led the world, the time of Trevithick, Stephenson, Telford, Brunel, Darby, et al., how many of them were certified, chartered, or academically qualified for the trade they practised? Yet they were, in their own way, leaders in the development of industrial technology. This was an exciting time when new techniques and methods appeared. Without them where would British industry have been? Are we, perhaps, by our insistence on ‘qualifications’ and our need to comply with the ‘standard approach’ that these tend to produce, and our concern with ‘compliance’ stifling originality and ‘thinking and acting outside the box”? Are we really encouraging new thinking and new ideas, or are we concerned merely with doing what has already been done and approved as meeting the standards and regulations? After all, regulations and standards can only apply in the majority of cases to a ‘standard world’, and, as we all know, this simply does not exist for many of us. So my question for discussion is: “How do we ensure competency and quality without stifling originality and development of original, “outside the box” approaches that can lead health and safety world-wide? Chris
Ron Hunter  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2011 00:26:15(UTC)
Ron Hunter

I would give a mention to John Harrison too (24 March 1693 – 24 March 1776) a notable example that self-education and innovation can go hand-in-hand and that the "golden age" extends much further than the Industrial Revolution. Remember too that Newton essentially argued that what Harrison achieved couldn't actually be done - yet Newton may be identified by many as the "greater mind"? Academicians would no doubt disagree that study and the pursuit of qualifications stifle creativity and innovation, indeed they may well argue the opposite view. From my own experience, post-grad studies (in H&S) positively encouraged original expression, interpretation and points of view. I recall similar opportunities in my earlier engineering studies to essay 'beyond the now' and to dare to dream. Let's not forget in passing people like Arthur C Clark - an example of someone able to come up with the idea of geo-stationary satellites and their commercial application, but lacking the detailed knowledge in exactly how that might be achieved. How many great ideas may have foundered in the past only because no-one was listening, or reading the right books at the right time? I would argue that a successful H&S practitioner must, essentially, be a problem solver. The nub of the issue then (as I see things) is to find effective ways to (a) identify potential and (b) to nurture it. Your post does of course invite a much wider spectrum of debate in a social, educational, economic and commercial context. I believe other countries have much better ways of identifying and streaming talent from a very early age, in comparison to our own rigid mainstreaming systems. In other respects, the great majority of our technical innovations and gadgetry are with us as a direct result of massive spending on defence and space exploration. With these industries being so tightly squeezed and perhaps unlikely to ever again attract that level of funding, there is an argument to suggest that our "golden age" of technological innovation is now very firmly behind us. Many of those innovators in centuries past (Harrison included) only delivered as a result of significant external funding or in pursuit of a prize.
Jane Blunt  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2011 08:55:12(UTC)
Jane Blunt

It is very easy for us to view the 19th Century as a golden age. The reality was not quite so golden. While huge technological advances were made, so were horrendous mistakes, which cost many lives and led slowly but surely to the kinds of regulation and standard that we have today. To give you a flavour, have a look at this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Wooton_Bridge_Collapse This was a clear case of using a material that was inappropriate to the application, and it wasn’t the only one. The 19th Century was littered with such events (even Charles Dickens got caught in a rail disaster and wrote from first hand experience in his novels). On some occasions, quite famous and well respected engineers came under the spotlight. Robert Stevenson was accused of negligence following the Dee Bridge disaster in 1847. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dee_bridge_disaster 40 years later we find another catastrophe from a similar cause at Norwood Junction http://en.wikipedia.org/...d_junction_rail_accident In the aftermath of that failure several thousand bridges had to be replaced on the rail network. The engineers of the time had difficulty taking on board the growing evidence of the existence of fatigue crack growth and the inadvisability of loading a brittle material (cast iron) in tension. Not to mention th fashion for designing the bridge in the shape of a 'trough' and putting the wooden sleepers in the trough where they would becme water logged. More suitable materials were available (wrought iron and steel). By the way, many of the Victorian Bridges still exist, and present a headache to many today. One collapsed in 2009. I work in a very high tech R&D environment, and I can assure you that innovation is most certainly alive and well. However, we try to learn better from the mistakes and findings of the past. Indeed we would be negligent if we did not do so. Sometimes we do have to do risk assessments entirely from first principles, with very little to go on. This is a challenge, but it is not normally an insurmountable one.
achrn  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2011 10:11:17(UTC)
achrn

Jane Blunt wrote:
To give you a flavour, have a look at this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Wooton_Bridge_Collapse This was a clear case of using a material that was inappropriate to the application, and it wasn’t the only one.
What do you suggest instead? built in the 1840s, steel had not been invented and wrought iron was a new material available in flats and rods only - not suited to cross-girders (which is what were made of cast iron and fractured). That Wikipedia page is not technically great - it proposes timber baulks, but this is cross-girders, not bearers. You'd need much greater construction depth to do it in timber. It implies that cast iron should not be used in safety critical applications - but cast iron at the time of construction was the safest material - many, many mill buildings were built with cast iron frame sold on its safety credentials, notably resistance to fire. The page implies that all bridges with cast iron members were "found, and ultimately strengthened or replaced", but there are plenty still in use today, a lot of them unstrengthened.
Quote:
The engineers of the time had difficulty taking on board the growing evidence of the existence of fatigue crack growth and the inadvisability of loading a brittle material (cast iron) in tension.
That is completely unfair and unwarranted. Firstly the engineers of the day were well aware of the characteristics of cast iron and that it is weaker in tension - hence the fact that pretty much every cast iron beam in existence has a significantly larger bottom than top flange. Secondly, cast iron is fine in tension if sized correctly - there are masses of structures with tensile cast iron elements doing a perfectly good job. Current assessment codes for highway structures allow flexural cast-iron members with tensile stresses - see BD21/01 - the current assessment code for highway structures - clause 4.10 and on http://www.dft.gov.uk/ha...vol3/section4/bd2101.pdf
Quote:
More suitable materials were available (wrought iron and steel).
No, they weren't. This page http://www.leekwoottonan...cliffe.org.uk/page31.htm suggests the line was commissioned in 1842 and completed in 1844. In 1844 steel was not available (it came into structural use in 1880 or so). In 1840 wrought iron was available, but only flats and rods had been around for long. Riveted joints (necessary for flitched beams, necessary for this application were very, very new - 1840 is about when they first came into use. By contrast, cast iron beams were tried and tested - in use since before 1800 and continuing in use (mostly perfectly reliably) in new construction until 1870 or so. I can't provide web references for those dates, but if you're interested in structural performance of early metallic structures the Steel Construction Institute book P138 'Appraisal of Existing Iron and Steel Structures' is a very good reference.
Quote:
However, we try to learn better from the mistakes and findings of the past.
As did the engineers of the past. What they didn't do, however, was use a material that didn't exist yet. I doubt you use materials that won't be invented for another 30 years either.
Jane Blunt  
#5 Posted : 29 October 2011 10:49:17(UTC)
Jane Blunt

Jane Blunt wrote:
To give you a flavour, have a look at this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Wooton_Bridge_Collapse This was a clear case of using a material that was inappropriate to the application, and it wasn’t the only one.
OK I concede that I should more accurately have said that they were using the material inappropriately, That is, they did not use sufficient material, considering its known properties. The proof of this is in the failures. There are designs that do not require the use of materials in tension, granted these designs can only cover limited spans. I agree that Wikipedia is not always great. However it is written in an accessible manner. If you want to improve it, then it is possible to do so as it is written by people minded to inform others. I stand by the comment on fatigue. It was first researched in 1830s, but it was not until the beginning of the 20th century that the crystallisation theory was dispelled, and fatigue is still misunderstood by far too many.
Quote:
More suitable materials were available (wrought iron and steel).
While they may not have been available when the bridges were built, it took a long time for the decision to be made to reinforce or replace the weak bridges. It is depressing when a failure is, on investigation, attributed to a well known cause.
RayRapp  
#6 Posted : 29 October 2011 11:20:47(UTC)
RayRapp

Chris, good question and one of the better questions on here for a while. Rather than go down the technological/historical route of Jane and achrn, interesting though it is, I will focus on where we are now. There have been a number of developments in the last decade or so which I think have dubious benefits to both individuals and organisations - Emperor's new clothes I call it. In industry we seem besotted by qualifications, training, competence, accreditation and so on. Indeed, to such an extent many SMEs are having great difficulty in keeping up with all the requirements. Of course, they have a place in the modern world but I would question how useful some of them are and indeed whether they are really needed. To be sure many people are doing nicely out of it. There are too may to list but I will pluck out a few out for discussion. Construction industry certification, CHAS, Safe Contractor, Constructonline, Achilles, etc. These are basically a tick the box exercise and provide little tangible benefits and even more so with CSCS, which is a joke in terms of training and competence. Not to forget 9001, 14001 and 18001, which is probably more suited to large organisations but not to SMEs. However, to compete and win tenders they are often a pre-requisite by clients. I have lost count how many documents I have written in order to satisfy the requirements of these certifications, and, in may cases they have not and never will be implemented! So, to answer you question succinctly, I do agree that we are stifling industry and innovation by providing too many hurdles to jump over. Moreover, it is SMEs who are suffering the most detrimental effects by having to keep up with the Jones'. Ray
Betta Spenden  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2011 11:44:16(UTC)
Betta Spenden

RayRapp wrote:
I have lost count how many documents I have written in order to satisfy the requirements of these certifications, and, in may cases they have not and never will be implemented!
Probably one of the most poignant and truthful statements to date on this forum site.
chris.packham  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2011 11:49:01(UTC)
chris.packham

Ray Thanks for your comments. I will come clean. This was a slightly tongue in cheek posting which came about because I was reviewing past postings. The impression was that many were purely concerning compliance with a regulation, i.e. how little do I have to do not to be prosecuted. I used to use the phrase I had from a tutor some years ago (when I was actually working in Libya in the oil industry) CATNAP (Cheapest Available Techniques Narrowly Avoiding Prosecution). We then coined our own new one, STAPEC (Simplest Techniques Available Providing Effective Control). What I was missing in the postings on this forum were the ones that went: "Eureka, look at this new, innovative method of achieving a safer/healthier workplace!" The impression I gained is that there is concentration on what Herzberg called the 'pain avoidance' approach as opposed to the more effective "motivation and recognition". Chris
chris.packham  
#9 Posted : 29 October 2011 11:51:22(UTC)
chris.packham

Just one further thought with regard to stifling SMEs. Is it not true that many new developments start in SMEs? If we stifle them and prevent original thinking and approaches to solving problems, what hope do we have? Chris
pete48  
#10 Posted : 29 October 2011 13:12:34(UTC)
pete48

I think the supposition in the question is flawed. Initiative, enterprise, exploration and challenge are not limited by education and qualification any more than they are by experience or lack of either. It is the outcome that may differ. It is easy to ask the Jimmy Green question when you are Jimmy Green; it becomes more difficult when you have assimilated information either through experience or education. This difference can manifest itself in the amount of resource given to an idea in the formative stages. Anyone for the perpetual motion machine for example? The fact that people are usually seeking assistance, guidance and what has worked before on this forum shapes the nature of most responses. Thus, it is unlikely that novel approaches to problems will be commonplace on here. We cannot then suggest that innovation or challenge does not exist beyond this place. As engineering has been given as an example I will follow the theme. If I ask an engineer which oil to use in my car do I want an innovative solution or the currently recommended one together with any relevant technical references? If I ask has anyone tried anything beyond the norm then I might gain such a response on forum. I agree that engineering has a very proud past in the UK with many great engineering achievements across the diverse range that the subject covers. What we must remember when looking back however is that those same historic figures were fundamentally responsible for setting up the various Institutions. They saw a need to capture the technological experience gained, provide reference and standards for future engineers and study for pupils of the science. Today, some 160 years after the first was formed, we have 36 licensed professional engineering institutions that each requires qualification for membership. And yet, I find it hard to agree with a suggestion that UK engineers are any less innovative or courageous than their predecessors. In fact I would argue the opposite. The frustrations of the simplistic qualification for organisations and qualification limitations/checks on individuals should not be confused with whether stagnation exists. I agree it is very poor way to manage risk but that, I feel, is a different question and one that I admit does frustrate me. P48
achrn  
#11 Posted : 29 October 2011 17:08:18(UTC)
achrn

Jane Blunt wrote:
There are designs that do not require the use of materials in tension, granted these designs can only cover limited spans.
I don't understand what point you're trying to make here - on the one hand you apparently champion R&D and innovation, and then you say the above - criticising engineers for not making all bridges arches (the only structural form with span that avoids material in tension). You can't coherently celebrate innovation and in the next breath lambast engineers who used a 40 years old material for not understanding a behaviour not properly understood until 60 years later. However, returning to the original question - I'm with P48 - initiative and enterprise are alive and well (in engineering and outside it). However, I'd add that the golden past was not necessarily as innovative as it is portrayed. One of those institutions he references - the IStructE (www.istructe.org) - for example was founded over 100 years ago principally because the old fuddy-duddies in the ICE (www.ice.org.uk) didn't want to embrace the use of the new-fangled material reinforced concrete.
Graham Bullough  
#12 Posted : 31 October 2011 18:20:54(UTC)
Graham Bullough

Just some points to add to achrn's response above: In some cases the UK isn't very good at supporting and developing initiative and enterprise. Examples include Florey's research at Oxford during WW2 into producing penicillin in sufficient quantities for medical use. Also, as forum users who saw the recent documentary about the WW2 decoding work at Bletchley Park will know, 'Colossus' the first ever electronic computer in the world was proposed and developed by Tommy Flowers a British Post Office Telephones engineer. Colossus could decipher the highly complex coded signals used by Nazi Germany and was reckoned to have shortened WW2 by at least 2 years. As the the German coding machines (far more complex than Enigma machines) were acquired by the Russians and used during the Cold War, the continued use of Colossus and its successors had to be kept top secret. Sadly, even though information about Colussus has now been public knowledge for some years, Tommy Flowers and his work remain virtually unknown. As for "Golden" ages of technology and development, it seems that people's lives depended on who they were, where and what they did. At or near the height of the British Empire around 1900 (in terms of military power, trade, colonies and dominions, etc), Britain found that a significant proportion of its men who volunteered to fight in the Boer War were physically unfit for reasons stemming from poor diet and/or poor housing and working conditions. (This factor was a spur to Robert Baden Powell in setting up the Scout Movement which some describe as a means to develop fit young men with initiative, etc to serve the British Empire.) Though the use of reinforced concrete was being developed in the late 19th century, wasn't the use of non-reinforced concrete (e.g. for the bridges on the Fort William-Mallaig railway line in Scotland) at the time effectively a re-discovery of what the Romans knew and had used some 2000 years beforehand, e.g. for the massive dome of the Parthenon building in Rome?
A Kurdziel  
#13 Posted : 01 November 2011 10:50:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Chris Your original posting asked the question is H&S etc holding back innovation etc in this country. The respondents then rolled off a load of stuff about 19th century technology-cast iron blah... blah... Back in the 21st century we are involved in developing genuine new technologies eg nanotechnology (small but important). What is interesting is how the H&S aspects of this are being managed. Firstly the fact that a H&S issue exists with this technology is recognised ( unlike the good old days of Isambard Kingdom Brunel) but the response is to this challenge is not to draft complex new regulations but rather to work within the existing laws, using the well founded principles of risk assessment to manage this work. This is being driven by the people developing the technology themselves not any outside regulator. It is quietly entering the world and will be commonplace soon. What will happen then is someone on the Daily Mail will wake up- the esteemed journalists will say all of this is the work of the devil and demand that something be done- then a whole load of pointless regulations will be drafted and fought over. Ho hum
stephenjs  
#14 Posted : 01 November 2011 19:13:41(UTC)
stephenjs

Sorry guys I have to say what a load of tosh - some SME's are innovative and are not being held back at all especially if they are good at what they do and have systems in place to make further efficiencies. (anybody ever read the E Myth Revisited or Masters of Success). The problem we have is that anybody can start a business up - if you know anything about business, the numbers, 1, 4, 15, 60 & 20 says it all and can easily be explained. 80% of all businesses are just getting by or struggling - not through H&S burden but because they are not efficient in their sector, amongst other reasons. As for innovation we see it everyday in varying forms and this has little to do with H&S burdens, in fact some industries have incorporated safety to a huge degree which has pushed their product to world class status - just look at the cars on your drive and compare them with 15 years ago. The other point to all this is that compliance is a culture thing, excellent business culture treasure and use safety as a production improvement lever, those who only use it as a bolt on do not reap that reward. You can probably guess from my post that I don't agree with many postings in this thread - although its nice to rattle off on some positive points IMO Stephen
NigelB  
#15 Posted : 02 November 2011 17:28:01(UTC)
NigelB

Dear All One of the difficulties with this issue is actually being able to establish cause and effect between the introduction of a new regulation and a measurable improvement in health and safety. In addition, while innovation is likely to help develop sustainable organisations in the future, efficient use of what we already have is just as important. The fact that there are health and safety regulations means that various organisations will be innovative in providing guarding solutions or alternative equipment to reduce the risk of injury. Requirements to substitute hazardous materials with less hazardous alternatives mean that some chemical companies have produced safer alternatives and are reaping commercial rewards, while - at the same time - assisting reduce the number of sick people turning up on the NHS doorstep. The use of ergonomists in the design of work equipment has made such equipment more efficient to operate, safer to use and provided commercial gain for the companies using such techniques. There are may examples of where health and safety regulations have promoted innovative solutions that are commercially viable. Engineers have been building safety innovation into such vast numbers of commercial and consumer goods it is hardly recognised in the modern world - till something goes wrong, of course. The combined effective of this innovation through regulation means that workers will be more productive by becoming more efficient and less likely to be injured or diseased. An explosion in the use of mobile elevated working platforms was instigated by the Work at Height Regs. While some people have been killed in using such equipment, many organisations find it is quicker, cheaper and more profitable to use such equipment than the alternatives or more traditional methods. It is unlikely that such growth in MEWPs would have happened without the regulations. Unfortunately widespread innovation in management effectiveness remains quite elusive. Hence the Government believes that people working more hours in the day/week increases efficiency, despite historical evidence to the contrary; they believe that economic growth will be helped by making it easier to sack people, cut their wages, reduce their pensions etc which is hardly the greatest of motivators; and they continue to denigrate health and safety because they cannot seem to understand the benefits but appear animated by stories they acknowledge to be a myth! Meanwhile the HSE estimate that 60% of employees in Great Britain are not consulted by their employer on health and safety issues. This is, of course, illegal. Perhaps a bit more innovative thinking is needed - like enforcing the law, for example. Cheers. Nigel
RayRapp  
#16 Posted : 02 November 2011 18:47:01(UTC)
RayRapp

Interesting article regarding businesses and regulation - http://www.shponline.co....inister-tells-regulators In short, the minister appears to be saying that regulation and thriving business can go hand in hand if enforcement is sensible and proportionate. I don't think too many would disagree with those pearls of wisdom. There appears to be a lot of conflicting messages from government lately, particularly regarding the HSEs pay for intervention which will hit SMEs the hardest - how does this correlate with the above article?
RayRapp  
#17 Posted : 02 November 2011 19:21:20(UTC)
RayRapp

'Perhaps a bit more innovative thinking is needed - like enforcing the law, for example.' Nigel, I like your style. ;) Too many people are finding too many excuses for not complying with the law. I'm not talking about minor breaches. I know like many other practitioners that h&s law can be very prescriptive, onerous and complex. Ye Gods, we often prevaricate about such matters on these forums to the ength degree. That said, the basic underlying principles have been around for quite some time - lest we forget.
achrn  
#18 Posted : 03 November 2011 08:18:39(UTC)
achrn

RayRapp wrote:
Too many people are finding too many excuses for not complying with the law.
Yes, like "A dual carriage way with 40mph speed limit is madness, especially when sometimes you are on the M25 when you cannot even reach that speed for the congestion - at least safely. Several roads where I live have had their speeds reduced, which again makes little sense given the width, traffic and general location. Another jobsworth erring on the side of caution."
RayRapp  
#19 Posted : 03 November 2011 08:40:02(UTC)
RayRapp

Different discussions about different issues...churlish use of quoting IMO.
achrn  
#20 Posted : 03 November 2011 12:12:39(UTC)
achrn

Because that discussion was not at all about making excuses for not complying with the law? That thread was shot through with people finding (and supporting) various excuses for not complying with the law. The tone (on average) was broadly supportive of not bothering to comply with the law. I remain staggered that a forum where most of the participants spend a fair proportion of their time (I guess) either trying to persuade people to comply with rules put in place for their own benefit, or at least worrying about people not complying with the rules, should be so supportive of disregarding the law. If a worker was doing something wrong and relied on the defence that the toolbox talk yesterday was a different discussion would that be good enough?
RayRapp  
#21 Posted : 03 November 2011 12:55:09(UTC)
RayRapp

I don't really want to get into a needless spat just because someone has decided to cherry pick a quote, which incidentally I was not advocating breaking the law, just illustrating how people in my view do not apply it sensibly. The important issues raised in this thread deserve more constructive comments.
All Black  
#22 Posted : 10 November 2011 09:00:17(UTC)
All Black

I believe it’s time for a change, a change in the way Health and Safety is delivered and perceived. Why? Because conventional Health and Safety systems clearly aren’t working! At present, there is a tremendous pressure for companies to seek quick wins in Health and Safety and as a result, firms find themselves shooting first without truly taking aim! This ready, fire, aim approach has led to many of our current linear systems, developed by so called experts being implemented without the involvement and backing of the workers at the coalface. Deming once said “People support what they create”. Having worked in Health and Safety in many different countries around the world for over 20 years, I can tell you, worker involvement (particularly at the planning stage) still isn’t happening! It’s a known fact that people don’t really buy into a decision if they don’t weigh in first. For companies to create a dynamic culture of safety, we strongly believe they need to create a spirit of the game which workers want to play. This can only be achieved by promoting active involvement from day one through continual support and setting good examples. Firms need to acknowledge that the job depends on everyone’s passion and will to contribute, as people will only really perform when they believe that they can shape their own future. The challenge is for companies to set values, which match the teams shared core beliefs. Being able to unite values and beliefs is difficult because humans are all different and no absolute formula could ever work. We have devised a series of simple systems, which we feel make sense and can be integrated into daily routine business. All our products focus on three essential ingredients: Awareness – Knowledge and belief of the strategy is real and powerful. Acceptance – It gets buy-in whereby teams accept the concept as second nature. Action – it is visual, vocal, active and often has an element of fun. Mark Taylor New Zealand www.iconicsafety.com
jay  
#23 Posted : 10 November 2011 09:36:58(UTC)
jay

Perhaps what has significantly changed is the "degree of harm acceptable to society" now for carrying out aspects of invention/innovation compared to what was acceptable in the days of the Trevithick, Stephenson, Telford, Brunel, Darby, et al. What was being done during the industrial revolution has evolved from relatively less complex/simple steam engines, structures, machines etc to fairly complex, sophisticated and very high hazards chemical, nuclear, pharmaceutical, transportation industry, etc etc. The risks, whether chemical, biological, radiation, speeds etc are of a totally different order that does require assurance systems and competence that is underlined by qualifications and standards. However, I would agree that we should not become slaves to such systems where they are not required.
redken  
#24 Posted : 10 November 2011 09:46:09(UTC)
redken

achrn"most of the participants spend a fair proportion of their time (I guess) either trying to persuade people to comply with rules put in place for their own benefit,or at least worrying about people not complying with the rules" I would welcome the views of others but I would suggest that your guess is wrong. In 25 years in this business that has never been a preoccupation for me. Ken