Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarcusB  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2012 15:49:35(UTC)
MarcusB

Hi, does anyone know if there is any legal requirement to have diffusers (or any form of protective cover) over fluorescent tube lights? Does it make any difference if the lights are in a stairwell that serves as an escape route?

I've seen these newly installed without covers and was surprised but couldn't honestly say whether or not covers are required.

Does anyone know or can you point me to any relevant legislation or standards?

Any help appreciated!
smitch  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2012 16:06:50(UTC)
smitch

IMHO no legal requirement for diffusers, if you look at page 36 of HSG38 (freely available from the HSE website) you will see images of different types of fluorescent lighting (both with and without diffusers).

I think it might be a requirement to have diffusers in some food preparation sites (pretty sure I heard this some time ago, but then again it may be me having a grey moment on a Friday afternoon).

HTH
smitch
MarcusB  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2012 16:13:45(UTC)
MarcusB

Thanks, smitch

In the forum archive there was mention of a requirement in food prep areas...I can't remember what reference was quoted though.

But no general requirement then? It's sort of what I thought but I'll wait and see if anyone disagrees.
Graham Bullough  
#4 Posted : 05 May 2012 00:10:17(UTC)
Graham Bullough

Like other responders I'm not aware of any specific requirement for all fluorescent lights to have diffusers, though it's possible that food hygiene laws might require them in food preparation areas.

As an aside from a champion/pedant for good English, it's nice to see 'fluorescent' and 'diffuser' spelt correctly in this thread. By contrast, some threads about violence to staff erroneously use 'diffusing' rather than 'de-fusing' as a word for measures to calm people down!
jfw  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2012 12:16:09(UTC)
jfw

quote=Graham Bullough]Like other responders I'm not aware of any specific requirement for all fluorescent lights to have diffusers, though it's possible that food hygiene laws might require them in food preparation areas.

Not aware of any food hygiene laws that refer to this, but there is a food hygiene accreditation that does.

The AIB (American Institute of Bakers) food hygiene standard has a section which relates to glass and brittle plastics. In a previous role, this was one of the standards I was responsible for maintaining, but its been over 4 years since I last dealt with it, so correct me if I don't get it quite right..

Basically :-

- glass or brittle plastic must not be positioned above machines, production lines or conveyors carrying product
- there must be a register of every piece of glass and brittle plastic in production and storage areas
- glass and brittle plastic on the register must be periodically inspection
- there must be a breakage policy and procedure with a dedicated vacuum cleaner
- light fittings above machines, production lines and conveyors must be unbreakable

We fitting fluorescent tubes which were unbreakable. They had a flexible plastic outer which contained any breakage inside. A remember an engineer showing off when he tied a knot in one after he had changed it.
Invictus  
#6 Posted : 08 May 2012 07:11:06(UTC)
Invictus

No legal requirement as above HSG 38 shows different images and informs what type of lighting for what areas. Food hygiene, diffusers are recommended to prevent food contamination in the event of breakages.
paul.skyrme  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2012 07:42:56(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Nothing wrong with open batten fittings, you would need to ensure that your escape lighting is up to scratch and there has been a warning issued to electrical contractors from the ESC with regard to wiring in escape route areas.
I have tried to find it on line to link but I cannot.

The warning they have issued, is to ensure that cable and wiring containment and support is adequate to support the wiring systems in the event of a fire in escape routes.
As reported by them, it follows the death of 2 fire fighters.
There may be others who know more about this, however, the information in the article in the NICEIC magazine in the ESC section is that one of the fire fighters became entangled in wiring after the containment failed.
smitch  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2012 08:43:40(UTC)
smitch

Paul

Does page 16 from the following, refer to the recommendation you mention?

http://www.esc.org.uk/fi...Issue_24_Spring_2012.pdf
paul.skyrme  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2012 18:16:08(UTC)
paul.skyrme

smitch,
Good find, yes it is!
I did not read the Switched On I had, only just started on the NICEIC Connections, well behind with my reading!!!
Too much work to do.
Betta Spenden  
#10 Posted : 09 May 2012 01:46:58(UTC)
Betta Spenden

Not a definative answer but ou need to read:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/ra...nising/employers-aor.pdf

Guidance for Employers on the Control of Artificial Optical Radiation at Work Regulations (AOR) 2010