Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Safety Man 1  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2013 20:31:47(UTC)
Safety Man 1

Hi All Waiting on my diploma results however I am toying with the idea of taken my BOSIET and MIST just looking for some advice. I would like to move into the oil and gas industry this is where my dilemma sets in experienced health and safety advisor 6 nearly 7 years however no oil and gas experience looking to step up to Grad Iosh in December however will this be a good move or a waste of money.
niknok01  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2013 21:45:14(UTC)
niknok01

Hello. It shows commitment to prospective employers that you are being proactive. I was basically in the same shoes as you are now. I was applying for jobs, however my CV was not getting past the wide boys at these HR recruitment agencies who only wanted to see what they wanted to see. Anyway, I decided to send out about 40 letters and CV's to oil and gas contractors, service and drilling companies in Aberdeen. I managed to get a couple of interviews and was successful in one. I now work as shore based SHEQ advisor with a large multi national drilling company. Worth a try if anything else.
JJ Prendergast  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2013 08:49:30(UTC)
JJ Prendergast

I think it also depends on what your other qualifications are and work experience to date. If you have some type of engineerig qualification/background you might find it a bit easier to get into O&G. I'm not saying you won't at present get into the O&G sector - but basic IOSH tickets aren't usually enough. It also depends which side of safety you are trying to get into - traditional IOSH Occupational type safety or 'technical' / 'safety' engineering. Technical safety definetley requires an additional science or engineering qualification. Technical safety / safety engineering pays much better than occupational safety, if that is of interest.
Richardgree  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2013 10:04:37(UTC)
Richardgree

Tread very carefully before spending big money on offshore courses. Offshore training is a big money spinner!! they promise the world knowing that the majority of students will never get a job offshore. Please see previous threads in relation to offshore employment and good luck.
Stewart Deary  
#5 Posted : 22 August 2013 19:55:14(UTC)
Stewart Deary

You don't have to work offshore to be in the offshore industry. Do it - I did, and I work for a subsea oil & gas engineering company (onshore). I'm sure offshore work will come, and I look forward to it. Its worth the investment whether you actually go offshore or not during your first, or second refresher period!
mikegrey  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2013 20:44:08(UTC)
mikegrey

Hi I have recently joined a major offshore survey company. BOSIET & MIST was a mandatory requirement for me to work offshore. Luckily the company arranged and paid for the courses after i had joined.
nickygee  
#7 Posted : 23 August 2013 15:30:08(UTC)
nickygee

Ditto what already said. If your employer wants you, they will pay or at worst you can arrange it at short notice around Aberdeen as there are several training providers. Get a job in any OG HSE role first and get some time offshore completing audits, training etc then go for offshore rotation. Chances of getting straight offshore on roatation is very small, with good reason. I started with a large Drilling Contractor onshore role, with some offshore exposure and over the years have gone offshore on rotation, as well as working overseas and back in UK. Just get a foot in the door first and the rest will follow.
cheifinspector  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2013 08:15:44(UTC)
cheifinspector

Word of warning about the MIST course - it is death by Power Point. It's not actually a requirement to have the MIST training to go offshore although most of the companies look for it as a minimum. I did the MIST and didn't find it benificial at all due to having done other courses such as NEBOSH. As mentioned above, just get your CV out there. Lots of positions are available just now. I have mentioned on these forums before that you should try and expand out of standalone H&S and look into environment and quality as well. Pay varies depending on what company you work for but it is well above the national average and bear in mind that working offshore is not without significant risks. Just look at the latest chopper incident.
Stewart Deary  
#9 Posted : 27 August 2013 20:53:15(UTC)
Stewart Deary

cheifinspector said... "I did the MIST and didn't find it benificial at all due to having done other courses such as NEBOSH." Can I also say that MIST is not in the same stratosphere as NEBOSH. It's extremely basic and not intended as a standalone HSE qualification.
cheifinspector  
#10 Posted : 28 August 2013 11:46:42(UTC)
cheifinspector

Widodo wrote:
Can I also say that MIST is not in the same stratosphere as NEBOSH. It's extremely basic and not intended as a standalone HSE qualification.
I am fully aware of the purpose of the MIST. All I'm saying is that the content and presentation of the course is flawed and is in dire need of a re-vamp. It is not very engaging at all when there is a constant stream of power point slides for 2 days.
Stewart Deary  
#11 Posted : 28 August 2013 12:34:31(UTC)
Stewart Deary

Sorry Chief, poor writing technique... I was agreeing with you and adding a little. Didn't mean to offend.
cheifinspector  
#12 Posted : 28 August 2013 13:38:31(UTC)
cheifinspector

No offence taken Widodo. At least we both agree on it!!!
cheifinspector  
#13 Posted : 28 August 2013 13:40:20(UTC)
cheifinspector

No offence taken Widodo. At least we both agree on it!!!