Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stern  
#1 Posted : 30 September 2014 14:33:39(UTC)
Stern

Hey all,

I am looking into the viability of signing up to Barbour EHS but was looking for some feedback from anybody who uses it (especially those working in construction management).

Does it offer good value for money?

Many thanks in advance

Stern
walker  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2014 14:38:50(UTC)
walker

Don't "we" (IOSH members) get access for free?
Never tried myself
Stern  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2014 14:41:53(UTC)
Stern

HI Walker,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
jontyjohnston  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2014 14:58:21(UTC)
jontyjohnston

I there

I used this for about 5 years, stopped this year.

Very good product, user friendly, a lot of information, good for legal updates etc. BUT, expensive.

Jonty
Carol B  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2014 13:16:18(UTC)
Carol B

I've just had my annual sales call from them, while the product looks good, it is expensive, and most of the information can be found elsewhere on the internet if you are willing/have the time to look, therefore I can't justify the expenditure

IOSH members can receive free updates, usually a toolbox talk type thing, but I think they are only quarterly
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2014 13:48:52(UTC)
A Kurdziel

jontyjohnston wrote:
I there

I used this for about 5 years, stopped this year.

Very good product, user friendly, a lot of information, good for legal updates etc. BUT, expensive.

Jonty

found the same and stopped using it
Stern  
#7 Posted : 01 October 2014 14:25:12(UTC)
Stern

Thanks for the reply all. So general consensus seems to be that it is a good tool, just a bit on the pricey side. That was pretty much as i expected!

Out of interest, what sort of money are we talking? (Just a ball park figure). I don't want to go to their sales dept and ask as i know these kinds of places are usually reluctant to give these sorts of answers over the phone and you inevitably end up embroiled in an hour of sales pitch!!

Business size we are a small construction firm, 1 office/small warehouse, 5 PAYE office based admin staff, approx 40 PAYE guys on the tools with another 40 or so regular(ish) CIS guys who we can call upon as and when needed.
JohnW  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2014 14:56:22(UTC)
JohnW

Stern,

I used to subscribe to Croner, many years ago, but find I can get sufficient updates and guidance through internet sources.

By the way some IOSH members DO get free stuff from Barbour, every 3 months I think, selected documents and publications.

I had the latest batch just last week. Check with IOSH membership how we sign up for that as I can't remember.

walker  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2014 15:42:40(UTC)
walker

I don't need Barbour - I know it all!

..........and you folks fill in the gaps
Carol B  
#10 Posted : 01 October 2014 16:48:30(UTC)
Carol B

Stern

PM me your email address and I will forward you the quote we received from them

Carol
jay  
#11 Posted : 01 October 2014 18:03:16(UTC)
jay

Both Barbour EHS & IHS Technical Indexes provide " Full Text" EHS information, including the guidance & codes of practice from industry bodies. It is fairly expensive and if you subscribe to the British Standards as a supplementary module, it is prohibitively expensive.

Now that you get ALL the Health & Safety and Environmental guidance/ACoP etc free online ( although the discontinuing of the "England "Environment Agency Website", in my view has been a retrograde step!) . Unless you use the resource to that extent, it may not be value for money. I had been using either Barbour or Technical Indexes since 2004 in my current role ( and previously with another employer from 1999 to 2004) . Once HSE decided to provide free online its priced material, there was no justification and for the limited use of the BS-EN-ISO standards I had, it is far cheaper to buy them directly from BSI, even at the non-discounted cost. (Membership of BSI for organisations is based on employee numbers etc!)

Ultimately only you can judge or estimate what it provides that cannot be either obtained free or at a cheaper cost compared to the annual subscription.

It is strange that despite the so called digital revolution, the costs are prohibitive for most of us. The suppliers quote "copyright"royalties etc they have to pay and also the dominant position of BSI as far as the Standards are concerned.

Did they offer you a free trial for say a week so that you could evaluate it properly. It is almost impossible to do a proper evaluation when they do a demo face to face or via the web--not enough time to get information .

Last but not least, yes, it has so much, but realistically, depending upon your company's activities, how much are you going to use?
jay  
#12 Posted : 01 October 2014 18:11:44(UTC)
jay

As you are in construction, one of the most comprehensive intergarted resource is from Construction Industtry Publications--the so called "Blue Book" now available as in electronic format:-

http://www.cip-bluebook.com/

Otherwise the next one down is the CITB Construction Site Safety Manual (GE 700)

http://www.cskills.org/s...ications/?productid=3812