Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Thomas Baxter  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2016 08:57:22(UTC)
Thomas Baxter

Hi, I have an issue at my workplace regarding qualifications and training for HGV shunters, and would appreciate any thoughts or guidance. We have a number of warehouse staff who operate our shunters around the yard areas. They have either received training whilst with a previous employer or hold an HGV licence. Experience and ability varies from one man to the next. I have instigated refresher training as this has been lacking for a number of years because they do not operate the shunting vehicle on a daily, or even weekly basis. We recently suffered a 'drive away' incident because the tugman didn't adhere to the bay light policy. They all understand the RA's. We have an HGV driver assessor employed with the company and I got him to conduct refresher training and assess each individual. My boss wants to use him to instruct other warehouse staff to operate the shunter, with the only proviso being that they must have a car licence. Where do you think we would stand with the Insurers in the event of a claim from a third party vehicle making deliveries to our premises. I am advising that we get an external training provider to train novice staff. Regards, Thom
IanDakin  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2016 11:11:15(UTC)
IanDakin

Hi Your driver assessor training should suffice if they follow the course and keep good records. But this will not cover any use of the public highway. Make sure those selected are suitable and will drive safely. In terms of the question of insurance, you should speak to your insurer Ian
Thomas Baxter  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2016 16:26:43(UTC)
Thomas Baxter

Thanks Ian.
rh1036  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2019 09:06:39(UTC)
rh1036

Just some advice please - I am in a similar predicament, I assume so long as the shunter is a qualified driver (Not HGV) with suitable driving experience (Driver Assessed) and suitable in-House training (Shunter) we can use warehouse staff to shunt trailers around the yard only - No access to roadways