Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EmmaBruce  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2016 16:38:01(UTC)
EmmaBruce

Can anyone confirm for me whether the installation of solar panels is covered by CDM 2015. I say it is but my Facilities Manager says not!

The work is being carried out on 3 business premises (residential care homes) by a contractor.
paul.skyrme  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2016 21:25:11(UTC)
paul.skyrme

All works on premises come under CDM 2015, it just depends on the level at which they come.
For example, all constructions must be designed to be inherently safe during and after construction, they must be safe to maintain etc. etc.
Therefore they must come under CDM.
One of the classics for solar is that inverters are put into the loft space, which is against MI's, thus against the requirements of CDM, therefore illegal, does the solar industry care, does it heck, it's cheaper to put them in the loft, thus the do it regardless of statute law.
There is guidance on the MCS website amongst others.
MCS here:
http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/
I can provide more guidance if required, however, your facilities manager won't like what I have to say, especially as I can prove it with references to law etc.
EmmaBruce  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2016 22:08:45(UTC)
EmmaBruce

Thank you, my Facilities Manager may not like it but any additional info you have would be great!

I was basically told that I didn't understand what construction was and 'no we won't do CDM for some solar panels' so I'd like to have a good case to go back to him with.

We have two contractors as well, one to set up the scaffolding and one to fit the panels, not working at the same time but one relying on the other...
paul.skyrme  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2016 21:58:21(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Hello Emma,

Sorry been busy, go through the requirements of the "new" CDM first and see what that brings you.
I'll go through the electrical side over the next few days as I have time, & post back.
DHM  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2016 17:22:34(UTC)
DHM

Emma, definitely CDM as it is construction not 'needle work' as my Boss would say. Check the HSE Guidance note L153 this will give you plenty of evidence to go back to your FM with.

Cheers
DHM
paul.skyrme  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2016 19:17:04(UTC)
paul.skyrme

RayRapp  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2016 23:42:19(UTC)
RayRapp

Adding to the good advice already given, regulation 2 of the CDM Regulations 2015 provides a definition of 'construction work' and I think you will find the installation of solar panels ticks several boxes.

Your installation manager may not want it to be CDM applicable...but it is.
gramsay  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2016 18:10:03(UTC)
gramsay

Only thing I'd add is to remember that if the boss is worried because you need to have a Construction Phase Plan, this does NOT need to be a new, complicated document. Your existing risk assessments etc, along with (maybe) a proforma you complete with the client's order may be enough.

Obviously what you need in terms of documentation for a couple of panels on Mrs Miggins' bungalow will be different to fitting 70 on top of a 10m high industrial building, but that's the case whether it's CDM or not.
Scrumpyman  
#9 Posted : 03 May 2016 14:37:08(UTC)
Scrumpyman

As a Safety Advisor to a Solar Panel installation company I can tell you that it does come under CDM.