Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ke5283  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2016 13:45:42(UTC)
ke5283

Hi all, not been on here in a while.

I'm looking into doing an MSc in Occupational Health Safety and Env Management. I've been in touch with Portsmouth Uni who offer distance learning and are happy to offer me a place. My theory behind the MSc is I would probably do the Diploma and then want to go on to MSc anyway, so may as well tackle it all now...

However, I just wanted to gauge how others have found the course distance learning and whether or not it really is hell (!)

Would appreciate any comments,

Thanks , Kate

JayPownall  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2016 16:03:52(UTC)
JayPownall

Kate I'm sure others will also share knowledge and experience but here's my thoughts given I'm not long out of education... With regards the diploma and MSc - if you've a BSc already, then my personal view would be to do the MSc straight off. Others will disagree. If you can't go straight onto the MSc then of course you'll likely do the Dip. Just have to ensure the uni's in question accept the Dip which most now do for entry onto MSc. I did an MSc full time, which was two days a week. Part time was one day and there was also distance learning. First question would be to see if you could manage being 'on campus' as having spoken to students who studied via distance - without sounding like a numpty, it was a bit too literal and even that one day a week was hugely beneficial to the part timers. If you can't do full/part time and distance is the way to go then I'm sure you'll still be fine, from discussions, and here's the positivity...those that have done the Dip route and entered the MSc via distance learning found it easier to complete/learn than those who had gone onto the MSc DL route from a degree. I suspect because the Dip route requires more autonomy to complete than some degrees. There'll be others on.here that will have studied via distance themselves and offer some valuable insight! I hope you get some insight into the MSc route and do feel free to PM me in future should you have any queries re MSc Study. Jamie
JayPownall  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2016 16:04:42(UTC)
JayPownall

I did separate all that out into paragraphs...
johnmc  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2016 16:05:18(UTC)
johnmc

Hi Kate, I have recently completed an MSc in Safety & Risk Management with Strathclyde Uni via distance learning. It was not as daunting as I expected but a lot of hard work though. Well worth going this route if you can discipline yourself to putting the time in to complete the units. PM me if you would like further details. Good luck anyway.
Andrew Bober  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2016 19:50:16(UTC)
Andrew Bober

Originally Posted by: johnmc Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kate, I have recently completed an MSc in Safety & Risk Management with Strathclyde Uni via distance learning. It was not as daunting as I expected but a lot of hard work though. Well worth going this route if you can discipline yourself to putting the time in to complete the units. PM me if you would like further details. Good luck anyway.

As a graduate of this MSc at Strathclyde I would strongly recommend it as well.

ke5283  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2016 22:49:45(UTC)
ke5283

Hi all, thanks for the useful insight. It's good to hear some positives! How long did it take to complete via DL, and how many hours per week did you put aside to complete? I am concerned that I will still be working full time and trying to complete a masters may just send me over the edge..! Still unsure as to whether to stick with the nebosh diploma for now but convincing myself that an MSc would be best for career development and feel like i need to put my BSc to some use! Unfortunately there are no courses close by that I can attend on a part time basis, and as I will be self funding i don't really have a choice other than to do DL as I will be completing it in my own time.
Slater24187  
#7 Posted : 22 December 2016 12:03:41(UTC)
Slater24187

Hi Kate, I finished my safety and risk management MSc in the summer through Robert Gordon, it was a 3 year distant learning. I live in Dubai and managed to complete the course from here. The learning platform they use is very good, nice and interactive, with opportunities for group discussions etc.

Cost was around 10k over the 3 years.

Good luck.

gerrysharpe  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2016 08:51:21(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Hi,

I've just got my Diploma and that was via distance learning which is better for me as i don't have to have time off work and could actually do some during work time as well.

Greenwich Iniversity in London also offer the MSc by distance learning and with no exams, only assessments, this suits me also as i've had the same method of learning with NCRQ and i would prefer real life scenarios instead of simply reciting facts

This would probably be my last course that i will do, and within 2 years looks pretty good to me

I managed to get my Diploma within 9 months and i'm looking at spending odd days at work working on my MSc as long as you dedicate time to getting a resonable amount done you should manage.

I'm going to the enrolement evening on the 11th of January, If anyone else is interested its at the Greenwich Campus, in London

Franky  
#9 Posted : 23 December 2016 12:39:19(UTC)
Franky

A nice meaty NEBOSH Diploma along ith all the gruelling examinations is the way to go. That will test your metal. My views only. Good luck in what you choose. Merry Christmas. DBF

Edited by user 23 December 2016 12:40:36(UTC)  | Reason: Typo