Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ncann88  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2017 21:23:27(UTC)
ncann88

Evening all, I need to store a 7ltr cylinder of compressed air on my site for the filling of pre charged air rifles. My manager wants to ensure we've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's etc. I've looked around and spoken to our fire consultant and the only thing it seems I need to do is put a sign on the cupboard it is stored in. Is there anything I've missed that I need to be doing. I have a risk assessment and policy for filling the rifles along with full instructions (although there are only 3 of us who will be doing it and we all know what we are doing). Note it is just compressed air, not a flammable gas of any kind. Hope someone can help. Thanks Nick
johnwatt  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2017 09:23:13(UTC)
johnwatt

Originally Posted by: ncann88 Go to Quoted Post
Evening all, I need to store a 7ltr cylinder of compressed air on my site for the filling of pre charged air rifles. My manager wants to ensure we've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's etc. I've looked around and spoken to our fire consultant and the only thing it seems I need to do is put a sign on the cupboard it is stored in. Is there anything I've missed that I need to be doing. I have a risk assessment and policy for filling the rifles along with full instructions (although there are only 3 of us who will be doing it and we all know what we are doing). Note it is just compressed air, not a flammable gas of any kind. Hope someone can help. Thanks Nick

Hi Nick, 

The HSE has a good information leaflet on this. A copy of this can be found on the link below. 

http://www.qub.ac.uk/safety-reps/sr_webpages/safety_downloads/safe_use_gas_cylinders.pdf

Edited by user 19 January 2017 09:24:07(UTC)  | Reason: typo

thanks 2 users thanked johnwatt for this useful post.
ncann88 on 19/01/2017(UTC), acetylene on 28/01/2017(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2017 09:58:18(UTC)
Ian Bell2

As the bottle only contains compressed atmospheric air, why did you need to speak to your fire safety consultant?

The bottle is a pressure vessel/hazard - not a flammable hazard, as you have already mentioned.

What is the fully charged pressure of the bottle when full? How do you regulate the pressure between the bottle and the air rifles that are being re-charged?

Brian Campbell  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2017 10:05:51(UTC)
Brian Campbell

The cupboard you mention, is this a fire rated cupboard??  Although its only compressed air there is a risk of explosion if subjected to fire & heat??`

Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2017 10:47:22(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Very true, but if the quoted 7ltr size is correct, its a small bottle.

I would hope a fire is long a go under control/extinguished (or the area evacuated) before explosion of the bottle is a serious potential.

The bottle would have to be subject to quite intense heat/a focused heat source for a reasonable amount of time before it exploded.

chris42  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2017 11:31:40(UTC)
chris42

Depending on size of cupboard, you may need to tie / strap it, so it can not fall. Does it stay in cupboard when being used ( ie not moved about)? if moved a suitable stable trolly etc would probably be good.

What you looking at pressure wise 300 bar?

Invictus  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2017 11:41:08(UTC)
Invictus

Or you could contact the British Compressed Air Society see below I am quite sure they would offer you advice.

http://www.bcas.org.uk/knowledge-base/standards-and-legislation.aspx

Hilti  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2017 11:49:05(UTC)
Hilti

Lets put this into perspective.

A 5 kg CO2 extinguisher has a similar cylinder capacity 7.5 litres and test pressure 215 bar and I would bet you or others would not be as concerned about the location/storage of an extinguisher in the room. 

thanks 1 user thanked Hilti for this useful post.
ncann88 on 19/01/2017(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2017 11:56:07(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Quite agree. I wouldn't be losing any sleep over such a small gas bottle.

ncann88  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2017 20:00:26(UTC)
ncann88

Thanks everyone, I'm glad Hilti shares my opinion in that it's not massively different to a fire extinguisher. In answer to some other points, yes it is secured so it can't fall over, it is used either in situ or it does have a carry handle, it's only about 10 kg full so not really in need of a trolley although manual handling of it is in the risk assessment. I wasn't to bothered about the whole thing but the boss was worried our insurance company would want information, as it is they've been rather tetchy about rifle shooting anyway but that's a whole different kettle of fish. Thanks again Nick
chris42  
#11 Posted : 20 January 2017 09:34:09(UTC)
chris42

My comment about the trolley was not for moving it as such, but making sure it is stable when it is at its destination. I have not seen the bottle you are referring to and may have a smaller foot print that say a fire extinguisher which are relatively stable. Yes, I would not be overly worried either, but just under 4,500 psi is not to be sniffed at, especially with nice snappable gauges / connections on top.

Sounds like you are sorted though.

Chris