Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
briancherry  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2017 09:11:08(UTC)
briancherry

I have just moved back to london from Melbourne Australia. I want to continue my career in Health and Safety, although i was just really starting to transition from site work as a steelfixer, and Health and Safety Representative, to educating myself and moving off the tools to a site saftey officer position.

This is something that i would like to continue here in London. I feel as though the costs to doing the NEBOSH courses i need are quite prohibitive though. Because i am here starting again, i feel as though i should use my time effectively and i really dont have the money to throw 1500 pounds at a crash course that might not be enough to get the qualifications i need to move forward.

I have ordered a few books, and revision guides online and expect them to come today, but i was wondering if you guys who would have done these courses and progressed already could help me with where to learn, specifically for the national construction certificate and ngc1 of the general certificate which is what i need for my tech IOSH status and ultimately to get work and provide for my family.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

gerrysharpe  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2017 09:40:43(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Hi Brian and welcome back,

I did the NCRQ Diploma which works out a bit cheaper and you can pay in installments.  You don't mention if you have a job or not here?

As a steelfixer in your previous role, a career in Construction Health and safety would be the best bet for you, I was a Welder /Fabricator prior to doing health and safety.

You need to remember you need experiance more than qualifications, thats why its imortant to get a job first and work your way through the courses whilst your working, i've seen so many people pass the courses and still struggle to find work, mainly because they don't have any experiance.

Let us know how you got on

briancherry  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2017 10:00:52(UTC)
briancherry

I am currently not working, although i am doing my cscs card tomorrow. 

I have spoken to a recruiter and he told me that with my experience in civil and infrastructure, coupled with two years as a health and safety rep, he wouldnt hesitate to put me in for a role if i had the NEBOSH construction certificate.

Its the brand that recruiters especially are looking for. They only filter CVs due to certain criteria.

If you know any good places to start revision or learnoing i would be happy to hear. If the classroom courses are 2, five day sessions, are there not ways to find the course material and learn it yourself?

WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2017 10:17:17(UTC)
WatsonD

Brian,

You can get good revision material for the Nebosh Construction Cert: https://www.amazon.co.uk...ords=nebosh+construction

You can do the course via distance learning or classroom based. Many of the providers will agree payment terms meaning you wont have to pay it all upfront.You may be able to do this as an intensive course, but most classroom based are one day per week for 12 weeks.

I beleive you may even be eligible for a 19+ loan (meaning you pay it back when you are earning over 21k per year) https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/overview

If your looking for construction then the Nebosh construction certificate is the one you want, as its the one most commonly requested.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
gerrysharpe on 16/02/2017(UTC)
SBH  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2017 10:20:49(UTC)
SBH

Hi Brian,

There are a great deal of health and safety qualified professionals all looking to move to the next stage of their career - some, who are still waiting for that first post, and many,  already have the qualifications you are thinking of taking.

If you take the courses it will still be 6 - 9 months before you gain the qualifications. As Gerry said get a job on the tools first and work your way through .

Recruiters will put forward every man and his dog for a post if there is the slightest chance of commissions, once you achieve the qualifications you could be better off using contacts gained and networks before using the recruiters. See this site for comments on trcuiting agencies

gOOD lUCK IN YOUR ENDEAVOURS

SBH

walker  
#6 Posted : 16 February 2017 14:43:18(UTC)
walker

My normal advice would be to forget H&S as there are far better qualified and experienced folks chasing too few jobs

However in your case your big plus is you have real construction site experience and you are a steel fixer.

As others have said: get a steel fixer's job, I'd guess its one of few areas where there are skills shortages; that way you have a foot in the door.

Then get a construction Cert. maybe in your spare time. Many believe this is a golden ticket to a high paid job when in actual fact its a very low rung.

Someone makes a rather diplomatic comment about recruiters. I'll be more frank dont at any time believe a word these folks say, they are less trustworthy than estate agents & MPs

Ian Bell2  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2017 16:33:47(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I wouldn't rate recruiters this highly.
Clark34486  
#8 Posted : 16 February 2017 16:50:45(UTC)
Clark34486

My experience of recruiters is absolutely awful, I truly dislike them, as soon as you are not the favoured candidate you are dropped like a hot stone.

I think i'd have stayed in Aus considering the working climate in the UK at present

WatsonD  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2017 08:11:58(UTC)
WatsonD

Actually the working climate in the UK is good at present: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38661443

Ian Bell2  
#10 Posted : 17 February 2017 08:36:05(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I wouldn't believe every story you read on the BBC. Certain business types might be doing ok, but it's still a struggle for many business sectors and hence jobs. Financial and low risk sectors don't lead to many safety jobs. Hence it's still tough going to get a job in safety, especially if you are new qualified without much experience. I would have stayed in Australia
walker  
#11 Posted : 17 February 2017 08:52:20(UTC)
walker

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

Actually the working climate in the UK is good at present: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38661443

I think you overlooked the last sentence of that article

That means we cannot say with 95% confidence that unemployment has fallen at all, so the drop is described as not being statistically significant

Out here in the real world, I see no upturn except in the semi-illegal "gigs jobs" market 

WatsonD  
#12 Posted : 17 February 2017 09:06:12(UTC)
WatsonD

Well hopefully Brian your question on training has already been answered. However, whenever anyone posts on here looking for career advice they are always met with those who delight in telling people it's all "doom-and-gloom" and "not to do it".

I'm sure you are and educated and intelligent individual who has your own reasons for the decisions you are making.

My post from the BBC comes from ONS findings, and whilst there is always room for error, even taking that into account they are not negative - but hey, who needs facts when you have opinions!

I work in construction and the level growth we have experienced in the past year has taken us all by surprise. So I would say things are good at the moment. Most of this is admittedly in the London area, exactly where your post says you are heading to - so good luck!

walker  
#13 Posted : 17 February 2017 09:47:17(UTC)
walker

Watson is quite correct we can only offer bias opinion.

None of us can truely comment on the whole country or every industry.

My industry is fairly static, but very difficult to break into.

My region appears, to me, to continue to loose career type jobs. 

It might be wrong to paint a gloom  & doom picture but it ain't no bowl of roses either.

Edited by user 17 February 2017 09:48:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked walker for this useful post.
WatsonD on 17/02/2017(UTC)