Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kofi17  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2014 07:05:15(UTC)
kofi17

Hi Guys I would like to get into the oil and gas industry, but do not know how and what qualifications needed (perhaps Nebosh oil and Gas Certificate?). I am currently working as a safety advisor for a local authority and undertaking my Nebosh Diploma at the same time. Regards kofi
kofi17  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2014 07:07:19(UTC)
kofi17

When I stated in my previous post about "do not know how", I meant do not know how to get there. kofi
JJ Prendergast  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2014 14:43:55(UTC)
JJ Prendergast

Are you prepared to move to Aberdeen? An expensive city! Or overseas? Traditional occupational health & safety doesn't pay as good as you might think. Do you really want to spend 1/2 of your life on a rusting steel platform, assuming you can eventually get offshore! I can assure you its not 'glamorous'!! The beast money, which is the usual reason for moving into the oil sector is as a 'Safety Engineer' or 'Technical Safety Engineer'. However you MUST have some form of engineering/science qualification AND most likely experience in the process industry or something closely related - power industry etc. Freelance - you could have a turnover of circa £170k pa in Aberdeen, but lots of costs to take off before you arrive at a salary. Still much, much better than occ safety though.
rockybalboa  
#4 Posted : 21 April 2014 08:56:08(UTC)
rockybalboa

Aberdeen is expensive but if its a base to get offshore then its not so bad, just a departure point really. As for the glamour, I agree, you may get scunnered when you have to mobilise offshore once you've done it a few times but once you're offshore its not too bad. Worse ways to make money. As for cash, I dunno, you can turn a good coin offshore, day rate contractor varies from £250 - £620 per day in Aberdeen, plus your uplift / retainer. Also, if you're only based in Aberdeen you can live where-ever you like. I know a guy who lives in Tennerife, makes his cash in Abz rotates home and has good buying power overseas. £4-8k a month plus 2-3 weeks time off too, not too bad. Personally though, working overseas would be more exciting I think, more tax free too. As for occ safety wage contracting, you can still make 6 figures so not the worst. As for staff, yes, the pay is less, but good for a start, can get good perks also, paid for MBA, MSc + Pension, Shares etc. As for the beast money lol, yes, tech safety engineers do turn a good coin, £70-£90 an hour I'd say, more in Norway if you want to go there. As for getting into the oil and gas, I'd go overseas, Aberdeen is kinda hard to break into but once you're in you're ok. Check out oilcareers.com get on linkedin, get some contacts, in all honesty, you need someone in the industry already to get you in. That is changing a bit now, but it still is the case as as much as JJ is getting stuck into occ safety, you'd be amazed at how many riggers, bolting tech's and other offshore guys want to transition to safety and they already have an offshore skill. Possibly if you want to get on the tools, you might have a better chance of getting offshore. Either that or occ safety overseas. As for much better than occ safety, I'm retraining to get into tech however, I’ve seen and been involved in some fantastic things in occ safety so I wouldn't’t change my career history and it is a very rewarding career so don’t let JJ put you off. My 2p
JJ Prendergast  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2014 10:43:15(UTC)
JJ Prendergast

I'm not trying to put anybody off. Just saying that if somebody wants to work in Tech Safety - then I am not aware of any Tech Safety engineers who ONLY have NEBOSH Diploma etc. All have degrees/MSc in some form of engineering/science topic. The NEBOSH General Certificate or Diploma does not cover the more technical/engineering aspects of this type of work.
John M  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2014 12:59:27(UTC)
John M

Some good advice provided so far. The smart employers have for some time now identified the merits and advantages of the tools trades undertaking the role of the safety advisors, officers, managers etc. The safety bod fresh out of the NEBOSH academy with a certificate is of no interest to them. I would suggest you get some real experience of being "on the job" and being exposed to the real issues before attempting to become just another safety bod with a clipboard. Jon
Terryb  
#7 Posted : 22 April 2014 08:45:03(UTC)
Terryb

Hi, I am currently working in Qatar in the Oil and Gas industry. I am based in the Ras Laffan Industrial City on a new gas processing site build. The site is huge!! I was referred to this current post by a friend having worked my entire safety career in high voltage substation construction / refurbishment in the UK. I have no degree level qualification but have NEBOSH diploma amongst other Q's. I am also TapRoot trained and experienced which is really desirable for any prospective employer in the Middle East. The industry is dominated with professionals from all over the world. Very few from the UK on this project. The main platform is OSHA. Highest percentage from India and surrounding countries. There is a common perception with employers in Qatar that Europeans are expensive to employ. You have to have a skillset to break in and justify your fee. Once in you are plain sailing. To break in if you have no experience you will have to be referred. The wages will not be fantastic to start but can rise to rock star depending on your performance Good luck
moonpool  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2014 04:03:57(UTC)
moonpool

Hello Kofi, I am currently working on a 6th Generation Drill Rig in Korea, prior to this West Africa, Singapore and UK waters. I will be happy to offer you some advise. Can you send me an email address and I will forward you some information and web links. Cheers
Marshall16325  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2014 08:20:17(UTC)
Marshall16325

Kofi, The Oil and Gas industry is vast and diverse, therefore, doesn't always feature rigs and platforms. Rather than focus on the $$$$$, I would try to ascertain which areas most interest you for e.g. Upstream, Midstream or Downstream and what do you need to be in that position from a competency profile perspective. Within each of the above areas, there are so many sub-areas to learn/consider. I agree with others, its not all rose tinted and in general your high salary is due to you being away from home working in remote locations. Sometimes a downward or sideward move in the salary stakes is required when transferring into new industry sectors, but that should not put you off. Oh and by the way, I'm not a Tech Safety Engineer just a humble "General Practitioner"! Cheers, Richard
GHAZALI2301  
#10 Posted : 15 May 2014 10:05:14(UTC)
GHAZALI2301

You're right, Richard. It is vast and diverse. I started my oil & gas career in 2005 with oil & gas fabricator, then moved to oil & gas operator till now. Various positions held with HSE Engineer, HSE Coordinator, HSE Advisor and even as low as HSE Officer. I got my BSc in Environmental and Occupational Health from local university in Malaysia and NEBOSH ITC in Oil & Gas Operational Safety as value added. Kofi, You may look into this.
peter gotch  
#11 Posted : 12 April 2017 12:00:52(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Charlotte

Is it pure coincidence that when I look your name up on Linkedin the top hit is for a Charlotte who works for oilandgasbestjobs.com?

Which makes your posting look distinctly like a commercial advertisement.

Edited by user 12 April 2017 12:01:30(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Ian Bell2  
#12 Posted : 12 April 2017 13:11:36(UTC)
Ian Bell2

A very old post she is replying to, as well. If you can get any job in the oil and gas sector at the moment, you are doing well. Aberdeen is a ghost town.
moderator 4  
#13 Posted : 12 February 2018 13:45:19(UTC)
moderator 4

This topic is being locked and advertising posts removed in accordance with Forum Rule 8