Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Martin Brogan  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2017 14:32:26(UTC)
Martin Brogan

Hi I am wondering if anyone has had to do this. I have an interview for a company as a health and safety advisor and have been asked to prepare a 15 minute presenation on any health and safety topic of my choice. Has anyone had to do this? and if yes any guidance on subject matter that would grab the interviewers attention? Thanks In advance Martin

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2017 15:34:55(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Martin Brogan Go to Quoted Post

Hi I am wondering if anyone has had to do this. I have an interview for a company as a health and safety advisor and have been asked to prepare a 15 minute presenation on any health and safety topic of my choice. Has anyone had to do this? and if yes any guidance on subject matter that would grab the interviewers attention? Thanks In advance Martin

Just about every interview I have gone for has included a presentation, although usually the topic has been set by the interviewer.

I found them a mine field as different interviewers have asked for different things and based on the feedback expected me to be able to read their minds.  Eg one person told me a topic but criticised

me for not giving any background information on general H&S. The next guy then criticised for giving too much background and not sticking to the brief.

The worst one did not tell me the topic until I arrived at the interview. They then gave me 45 minutes, a flip chart and some pens and told me to create a presentation then and there on the topic!

My guidance would be:

1. Introduce yourself at the start. Explain who you are and what makes you passionate about Health and Safety.
  2. Don’t do too many slides. For a fifteen minute talk you don’t need twenty or thirty slides. Five or six might be enough. They want to see YOU not your slides. You should be doing the talking and explaining.
  3. Don’t just repeat what you see on the slides. Show them you can hold an audience.
  4. Don’t use loads of bullet points-“bullets kill people”.  Pictures and animations can break up a dry presentation.
  5. But don’t be too tricky eg using weird slide transitions
  6. Interact with the audience; give them handouts, ask them questions, show them examples etc.
  7. Practice the presentation. It does not need to be word perfect but you must get the timing right. Don’t over run( 15 minutes can flyby)
  8. Pitch it at the right level: not too basic but don’t go off into the realms of technical jargon either. Remember that probably only one member of the interview panel will be a Health and Safety professional.
  9.  Smile: look like you are enjoying yourself.
  10. Be ready to answer questions on the presentation.
Martin Brogan  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2017 15:51:24(UTC)
Martin Brogan

Hi A Kurdziel, Thanks for your answer this has given me a good idea on what to put into the presentation especially the bullet point reference. Appreciate the reply. Thanks Martin

Mariav  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2017 17:06:23(UTC)
Mariav

Originally Posted by: Martin Brogan Go to Quoted Post

I hope these won't be free of charge 15min of consulting to them...

Maria

stuie  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2017 20:35:07(UTC)
stuie

Try and select a topic that you are comfortable and confident to talk about and have some expeience in; also try and 'guess' what their major risks might be and perhaps focus on one of them?

Alternatively think differently and throw in something completeley different at them to start with but then bring it back to relevance to them somehow?

Abseiling - working at height? Pot holing - confined spaces? Motor racing- workplace transport? Martial arts - lone worker/self defence?

Maybe im just talking carp (sic)?

Hope this helps

Stu

thanks 1 user thanked stuie for this useful post.
Martin Brogan on 25/05/2017(UTC)
aud  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2017 10:18:51(UTC)
aud

I have had to do this for almost every job interview. I always ask applicants for a 5 min presentation when recruiting, but care less about the slides, if used, than the person's own style. Hate to see slides used badly tho.

AKs tips are on the button. (but I actually prefer the 'we'll tell you when you get here' flipchart challenge, as it brings out my own ad-hoc style. 20 mins preparation last time - easy).

15 mins is quite a long time. I would aim to finish in 12 and make it clear you are allowing for questions or discussion. I also like Stuies ideas, as it is your choice of subject, to 'sell' some safety concepts using everyday examples.

With your own choice you can avoid the 'free consultancy' types of interview presentations providing a topic  'how would you tackle this problem' so commonly encountered (sigh).

thanks 1 user thanked aud for this useful post.
peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2017 11:54:44(UTC)
peter gotch

Perhaps discuss the relative importance of occupational health and safety

Construction GB 2015/16 - 43 fatals (not counting the work-related road traffic fatalities)

About 300 suicides amongst construction workers

About 3700 premature deaths as a result of occupational health risks.

Costs of ill health vastly higher than those associated with accidents.

Ratios vary but the same principles apply across all sectors.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Clark34486  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2017 13:55:42(UTC)
Clark34486

Thoroughly enjoy doing them, I find it the best way to get my point across and sell myself

On the flip side I am managing/ recruiting a team in my new position and need to recruit 3 x Safety Assurance Managers, I have specifially requested that they produce a presentation as part of the interview process

thanks 1 user thanked Clark34486 for this useful post.
Wooldridge29111  
#9 Posted : 11 May 2017 15:54:40(UTC)
Wooldridge29111

10 minute presentation would require no more than 10 slides, 1 minute per slide. No more than 5 bullet points per slide. Slide 1, Aim and Objectives. state the aim as a sentence, and then 3 objectives which are the key areas for your presentaiton e.g. 1. Industry Issues and Stats 2. Technology Considerations (Best Practice) 3. Behavioural Considerations (Safety Culture). Don't stare at the slides, have a story to tell. A case study is a good example and there are plenty to find for all types of industry. Finish by going over your aim and objectives then ask if anyone has questions. Make sure you deliver three key message within your three objectives.

thanks 1 user thanked Wooldridge29111 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 12 May 2017 07:51:55(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: aud Go to Quoted Post

I have had to do this for almost every job interview. I always ask applicants for a 5 min presentation when recruiting, but care less about the slides, if used, than the person's own style. Hate to see slides used badly tho.

AKs tips are on the button. (but I actually prefer the 'we'll tell you when you get here' flipchart challenge, as it brings out my own ad-hoc style. 20 mins preparation last time - easy).

15 mins is quite a long time. I would aim to finish in 12 and make it clear you are allowing for questions or discussion. I also like Stuies ideas, as it is your choice of subject, to 'sell' some safety concepts using everyday examples.

With your own choice you can avoid the 'free consultancy' types of interview presentations providing a topic  'how would you tackle this problem' so commonly encountered (sigh).

The problem witthe flipchart challenge is that I ended up with not enough time to time (as it were) the presentation and managed to over shoot.

Edited by user 12 May 2017 07:53:20(UTC)  | Reason: My bad spelling

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
WatsonD  
#11 Posted : 12 May 2017 07:58:28(UTC)
WatsonD

A Kurdziel has nailed it. Practise it as much as you can. I know from experience that the better you prepare the better you perform - and it is a performance.

Stumbling over your words and losing you place on the powerpoint will make the nerves go into hyperdrive. So practice as much as you can. When you get up to do your presentation, with your mouth dry, you will be glad you can just fall into the comfort of  your well rehearsed routine - and the effort put in beforehand will shine though on the day!

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.