Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WatsonD  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2017 10:25:45(UTC)
WatsonD

I am looking for help with an issue I have as I am increasingly feeling like I am trying to prove something that doesn't exist.

We are working in a residential housing unit and part of our work requires installing pipework throughout the property (through penetrations).

It is my belief  that when undertaking this we need to adequately fire stop between fire compartments only. Therefore from the flat through to the corridor, etc.

However, we are being asked to fire stop all penetrations within the flat itself, which seems futile given that there are no internal fire doors between say the lounge and bedroom, not to mention it is unlikely these doors would be kept shut anyway.

Please could those with the appropriate knowledge advise and if/ where possible signpost where I can find conclusive evidence. At present I can find supprt that fire compartments should be fire stopped, but nothing to say other areas do not need this.

Many thanks

MaxPayne  
#2 Posted : 07 June 2017 11:37:17(UTC)
MaxPayne

Fire stopping needs to be properly specified by a competent designer, however I'd agree that on the face of it it wouldn't make sence unless the wall forms part of the fire compartmentation.

I'm sure you've looked at the building regs, but here's the link anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2017 12:19:56(UTC)
WatsonD

Thanks. These are older buildings where the layout and fire compartments are established and the residents have been living there for years.

My issue is with being asked to fire stop between inner walls which do not form part of the compartment.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 07 June 2017 18:19:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

Building Regs are never applied retrospectivley to an existing building however during upgrade/repurpose/refurbishment the designer must apply the current applicable standards to the design.

You will have to refer to the designer to see if they have gone OTT in assigning internal rooms as fire compartments - does seem a folly to add cost in a project for protection around the pipe whilst the wall itself could possibly come down in a significantly shorter time.

Until they agree and modify the design you must continue as instructed.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
WatsonD on 08/06/2017(UTC), WatsonD on 08/06/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2017 18:19:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

Building Regs are never applied retrospectivley to an existing building however during upgrade/repurpose/refurbishment the designer must apply the current applicable standards to the design.

You will have to refer to the designer to see if they have gone OTT in assigning internal rooms as fire compartments - does seem a folly to add cost in a project for protection around the pipe whilst the wall itself could possibly come down in a significantly shorter time.

Until they agree and modify the design you must continue as instructed.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
WatsonD on 08/06/2017(UTC), WatsonD on 08/06/2017(UTC)
WatsonD  
#6 Posted : 08 June 2017 07:28:50(UTC)
WatsonD

Thanks Roundtuit,

The problem here is that we are on phase two of a number of projects and it is only now that they are asking for this. The several other properties we did in phase one did not have this and we have priced phase two accordingly, so unless we can prove to them it is not necessary we may have to absorb the cost.

Invictus  
#7 Posted : 08 June 2017 08:00:01(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Roundtuit,

The problem here is that we are on phase two of a number of projects and it is only now that they are asking for this. The several other properties we did in phase one did not have this and we have priced phase two accordingly, so unless we can prove to them it is not necessary we may have to absorb the cost.

As you are making improvements then the building regs etc apply.

Normally you would only fire stop when the pipe work etc pass through fire resisting elements of construction i.e. where a fire compartment has been formed, by walls and doors.

Look at 9999 33.4..12

thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
WatsonD on 08/06/2017(UTC)
WatsonD  
#8 Posted : 08 June 2017 10:44:16(UTC)
WatsonD

Thanks invictus that is exactly what I believed to be the case, but I could't find anything specific. I will look at BS9999.