Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sgallacher27  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2017 21:21:05(UTC)
Sgallacher27

Good Evening All,

It has been brought to my attention that our employees' small changing area doesn't contain any heating. Therefore, soaking PPE hung up at the end of the working day becomes soaking PPE to put on first thing in the morning...not good!

I know the PPE Regs say there should be facilities for drying P.P.E if being sodden would affect the protection offered by PPE...however our guys are using waterproof over-trousers and light jackets and therefore being wet won't really affect the protection offered; it would just be uncomfortable for the workers to have to put on clothes which are already wet.

As I anticipate a battle commencing when I suggest getting the changing room converted to a proper drying room...does anyone have any experience of similar arrangements or any legislative requirements to back me up? Our guys do not carry out any construction related work therefore the drying room requirement laid out in CDM 2015 won't apply.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by user 08 June 2017 21:22:25(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2017 09:36:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Isn't your answer in L25?

64 Storage is required to: (d) enable the sufficient drying of PPE to ensure its effectiveness is maintained, for example retaining its insulating capabilities if used in damp, hot or cold environments. 

Putting on wet equipment means any (even minimal) thermal insulation offered by the clothing has been compromised or as you describe it "uncomfortable"

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Sgallacher27 on 11/06/2017(UTC), Sgallacher27 on 11/06/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2017 09:36:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Isn't your answer in L25?

64 Storage is required to: (d) enable the sufficient drying of PPE to ensure its effectiveness is maintained, for example retaining its insulating capabilities if used in damp, hot or cold environments. 

Putting on wet equipment means any (even minimal) thermal insulation offered by the clothing has been compromised or as you describe it "uncomfortable"

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Sgallacher27 on 11/06/2017(UTC), Sgallacher27 on 11/06/2017(UTC)
MaxPayne  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2017 10:01:32(UTC)
MaxPayne

Regulation 23 from the welfare regs covers this:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3004/regulation/23/made

or take a look at L24:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l24.htm

thanks 1 user thanked MaxPayne for this useful post.
Sgallacher27 on 11/06/2017(UTC)
andrewmcculloch  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2017 10:20:14(UTC)
andrewmcculloch

Workplace Health & Safety Workplace Regulations 23 & 24 should help

thanks 1 user thanked andrewmcculloch for this useful post.
Sgallacher27 on 11/06/2017(UTC)
Sgallacher27  
#6 Posted : 11 June 2017 21:23:28(UTC)
Sgallacher27

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses; all greatly apreciated!

It looks like Reg 23 of the welfare regs has hit the nail on the head and I'm going to use that alongwith the P.P.E regs to back me up.

Thanks again.

Bigmac1  
#7 Posted : 12 June 2017 18:37:58(UTC)
Bigmac1

Just ask your management if they would wear a wet suit next morning!!!!

Welfare regs all day

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
Sgallacher27 on 25/06/2017(UTC)