Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Martin#1  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2017 10:26:27(UTC)
Martin#1

We are involved with a project and we've got a contractor installing a sprinkler system within a new school, the main contractor on the project has requested that any pressure tests of the sprinkler system should be conducted outwith normal site working hours, I don't have an issue with this other than the main contractor telling our sprinkler contractors that "its a Health and Safety requirement and part of legislation" that these tests are conducted outwith normal hours

I know that sprinkler systems would be covered by the Pressure System Safety Regulations 2000 but can't see any direct reference to when pressure testing can and can't be undertaken, is there any other guidance or regulations I should be reviewing? 

Blackburn31728  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2017 10:49:37(UTC)
Blackburn31728

iTS NOT THE CASE THAT THEY MUST BETESTED OUT OF HOURS BUT WHEN TESTING OCCURS THERE IS A FAILURE RISK  AND PERSONS MUST BE PROTECTED FROM ANY BLOW OFFS. IT IS USALLY TESTED AT A LOW PRESSURE TO IDENTIFY LEAKS FIRST THEN BUILD THE PRESSURE UP. 

Alfasev  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2017 11:03:31(UTC)
Alfasev

It’s a long time since I was involve but are you sure that the Pressure System Safety Regulations 2000 apply to fire sprinklers.

Martin#1  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2017 11:19:29(UTC)
Martin#1

Originally Posted by: Blackburn31728 Go to Quoted Post

iTS NOT THE CASE THAT THEY MUST BETESTED OUT OF HOURS BUT WHEN TESTING OCCURS THERE IS A FAILURE RISK  AND PERSONS MUST BE PROTECTED FROM ANY BLOW OFFS. IT IS USALLY TESTED AT A LOW PRESSURE TO IDENTIFY LEAKS FIRST THEN BUILD THE PRESSURE UP. 

I agree. I don't think the tests need to be conducted outwith normal site hours as long as they have been properly risk assessed. If the contractor requests that these are are done outwith normal hours thats their own decision and not one that has been placed on them by H&S Legislation. 

Martin#1  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2017 11:24:55(UTC)
Martin#1

Originally Posted by: Alfasev Go to Quoted Post

It’s a long time since I was involve but are you sure that the Pressure System Safety Regulations 2000 apply to fire sprinklers.

What other regulations would they come under? I would class a sprinkler system as a pressure system given that it consists of pipework, hoses, pressure gauges, etc....

WatsonD  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2017 11:34:24(UTC)
WatsonD

The pressure systmes regulations don't apply here as you are testing water pressure up to about 8 bar for 15 minutes (assuming BS9251). The biggest risk here is an incorrectly fitted head shooting off under pressure and hitting someone, rather than the spray of water. However, as the pressure is built up incrementally this is less likely.

Some sites require exclusion zones, other require OOH working, and some site do not request either.

What you choose would largely depend on how your system is set up. i.e. one system with only one valve group, or several systems within with more than one valve group, wher you can isolate an area at a time.

Ian Bell2  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2017 11:36:43(UTC)
Ian Bell2

It isn't sufficient for a system to be pressurised. The system content also needs to be defined as a 'relevant' fluid ie pressurised above 0.5bar, steam, or gas or if a liquid have a vapour pressure greater than 0.5bar at operating temperature or 17.5deg C. Fire water systems are not usually classified under PSSR.
Martin#1  
#8 Posted : 13 June 2017 13:29:52(UTC)
Martin#1

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

The pressure systmes regulations don't apply here as you are testing water pressure up to about 8 bar for 15 minutes (assuming BS9251). The biggest risk here is an incorrectly fitted head shooting off under pressure and hitting someone, rather than the spray of water. However, as the pressure is built up incrementally this is less likely.

Some sites require exclusion zones, other require OOH working, and some site do not request either.

What you choose would largely depend on how your system is set up. i.e. one system with only one valve group, or several systems within with more than one valve group, wher you can isolate an area at a time.

Thanks for your post :-) 

I've requested the sprinkler contractor to confirm what standard they are working to and hopefully this will detail the pressure testing requirements. 

Alfasev  
#9 Posted : 13 June 2017 14:38:19(UTC)
Alfasev

I think the LPC Rules for Automatic Sprinkler Installations BS EN 12845 (published by the Fire Protection Association) is the guidance people use.

​​​​​​​

stevie40  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2017 16:48:26(UTC)
stevie40

Originally Posted by: Alfasev Go to Quoted Post

I think the LPC Rules for Automatic Sprinkler Installations BS EN 12845 (published by the Fire Protection Association) is the guidance people use.

​​​​​​​

That is the correct standard. £300 plus if you want a copy IIRC. 

I suspect the PC is being overly cautious here, the risk from the main pipework ranges is no worse than the hot and cold water installation in the premises. In fact, sprinkler technology is extremely reliable and head failure rates are similar to lottery jackpot winning odds. 

There is however a commissioning test risk in the sprinkler pump room. This is when a system demand is placed on the electric and or diesel pump sets for the first time. The pump sets will be spinning at several thousand RPM and a manufacturing fault could cause damage to the  the pump / motors.

An extremely rare occurence - only seen it once and even then, the heavy duty electric motor just vibrated and then seized. No parts ejected apart from the property owner's fury.  

We do normally stand back a bit when witnessing the commisioning test though, just in case.