Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Natalie S  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2017 11:55:53(UTC)
Natalie S

I am looking for guidance on measures to protect operatives working in high risk areas from the threat of terrorism.

We have issued the government guidance on RUN HIDE TELL and considering creating an awareness package to be delivered however I am looking for advice on other actions other companies have taken?

The company is a utility company, replacing gas pipes and have projects in city centres across the north and west.

Thanks in advance

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2017 13:09:44(UTC)
RayRapp

Natalie

Run, Hide, Tell and I think that's it...

chas  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2017 13:37:08(UTC)
chas

Have a look at the NACTSO website and the security guidance they have issued to those organisations which manage large crowds. That should give you an idea of what those businesses will be doing in terms of management. It should also enable you to create advice for your teams that dovetails with that of the wider business community. Whatever you choose to do/say the Run, Hide,Tell message should always be your starting point.

Hope this helps     

Zyggy  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2017 17:13:55(UTC)
Zyggy

Natalie, unfortunately " threat of terrorism" is quite a broad brush & can involve more than evil acts by individuals or groups as we have recently seen in Manchester & London, e.g. suspect packages; bomb threats, etc. My own personal experience in this area stems from my employment at a very large Premier League football club where I am Deputy Head Safety Steward & Evacuation Manager (spookily I also worked for British Gas for 17 years so know "a bit" about gas mains/services!). Unfortunately I am unable to discuss such matters on a public forum for obvious reasons, but if you would like to pm me with a mobile telephone number I will try & give you some pertinent advice. As Ray & others have said, the Run, hide, tell advice is a good starting point.
Natalie S  
#5 Posted : 16 June 2017 06:26:29(UTC)
Natalie S

thanks everyone

lorna  
#6 Posted : 16 June 2017 11:37:19(UTC)
lorna

I'd also reccomend downloading the CitizenAid App - in the hope that you never have to use the advice it contains...