Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andree  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2017 16:46:24(UTC)
Andree

I have been asked to write a transport and use of disabled facilities for elderly,vulnerable,wheelchair bound, folk using aids etc. Included in the policy I have written advice on falls and stated current advice is not to try to catch someone falling (most helpers are elderly themselves). I cannot find any legislation on this to reference it. Am I correct saying this?

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2017 17:57:18(UTC)
RayRapp

I doubt you will find any specific reference to 'catching someone falling' because it is really down to the individual assisting (I assume that would be the case) and whether they feel capable or they may just react instinctly. Either way I personally would not put this down in writing - some things are better not said. 

Invictus  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2017 07:46:29(UTC)
Invictus

There will be a local Falls Team, normally in your local hospials who will be able to advise you. If you just google Fall team and your area it should come up with it.

Regards

jwk  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2017 13:45:19(UTC)
jwk

There are safe approaches to helping a falling person, and these can be taught. In my previous two places (medium & very large residential care and hospice) we did train people to help break people's falls without putting themselves at risk. The essential thing, if you think a person may be at risk of falling, is to get your position right in advance so that if they do fall they slide down your body rather than going down like a felled tree. As I say, it can be taught, you just need to find the right trainer,

John