Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Safety Shadow  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2017 12:27:27(UTC)
Safety Shadow

Hello All,

I am after people’s opinion in relation to a COSHH RA.

Basically I am aware the COSHH RA is as much about the activity as it is about the substance being used.

Currently I am creating a COSHH RA for a substance that is used as a disinfectant cleaner (floor mopping). Looking at then Safety Data Sheet (SDS) it classifies the substance as H318 – causes serious eye damage. I have identified that when the substance is poured in to separate container (mop bucket) there is a risk of splash back that could enter the eye/s. Now in theory if we used a quantitative risk assessment the likelihood of splash back occurring and entering the eyes would be extremely low.

The SDS recommends eye protection when using this substance, what are your opinions on this, bearing in mind the activity? Should eye protection be issued or is this an over the top control measure?

Thanks in advance

Invictus  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2017 12:34:00(UTC)
Invictus

Fit a pump dispenser to the container and then there is even less chance of it splashing it also gives correct measures so less wastewearing eye protection in my opinion is over the top.

You could say the same for washing up liquid.

thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
Safety Shadow on 15/06/2017(UTC)
SBH  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2017 13:33:01(UTC)
SBH

I agree with Invictus - get a dispenser, or get tablets

SBH

thanks 1 user thanked SBH for this useful post.
Safety Shadow on 15/06/2017(UTC)
DProsser  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2017 18:47:10(UTC)
DProsser

Hi

I found a guidnce sheet from the HSE on this very topic.

http://coshh-tool.hse.gov.uk/assets/live/SR02.pdf 

They suggest using goggles if using acids or caustics. 

However, PPE could be considered unnecessary if you have other control measures in place. And lets be honest, who will wear eye protection everytime to put chemical in a bucket. 

A pump would be a good idea as this would also minimise skin contact with the chemical.

Also consider substituting it for a safer product. 

Adding the correct amount of chemical in a controlled manner to the water and not the other way around will also further prevent splash back. It would also instantly dilute the chemical further reducing the effect on the eyes.

Training, instruction and supervision.

Ensure there an eye wash station or eye wash available in a first-aid kit.

Hope this helps

thanks 1 user thanked DProsser for this useful post.
Safety Shadow on 16/06/2017(UTC)
Safety Shadow  
#5 Posted : 16 June 2017 21:03:37(UTC)
Safety Shadow

Thanks for everyone's input I have now completed the RA.