Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bass900063  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2017 11:56:29(UTC)
Bass900063

Hi

Can anyone offer me some advice about training staff in the occassional handling of people?

I am the H&S manager for a charity that own and operate an outdoor eudcation centre where we offer the usual outdoor ed activities - zip wire, high ropes, canooing, etc. We strive to make our activities as inclusive as possible and as a result have a high number of young people visiting us who have physical disabilities. 

Usually these visitors are accompanied by carers who will provide support with the day to day stuff but when participating in the outdoor sessions our instructors provide this support. This is usually without the use of mechanical aids (it would be difficult to use a hoist for a lot of our activities).

I would like to organise training for our instructors on how to best to physically support people but I'm not having much luck - there is a reliance on mechanical aids in the care sector and carers are told not to physically handle people.

Does anyone know of a training provider and maybe some DVDs? I train staff on Manual Handling  technique but this is a different discipline.

Thanks

Christine

kevkel  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2017 12:46:16(UTC)
kevkel

Hi Christine,

The principles of safe lifting are the same, Broad stable base, bend knees, arms in close to body, look straight ahead to align your spine and lift with the leg muscles. The additional issues are to work with the persons own range of movement, not to hold or support by limbs and to have two persons where needed (which is most of the time). Your own training in manual handling may just need an upgrade to teach this module. I teach this and there is not much variation except the use of the equipment. Check out patient handling videos on youtube for a better idea.

Kevin

Ron Hunter  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2017 13:07:22(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Probably best ot make enquiry via relevant professional bodies. A starter for 10 listing available at:

https://ahoec.org/links/

ncann88  
#4 Posted : 27 June 2017 12:21:40(UTC)
ncann88

Hi Christine, 

I work in the same sector as you, working with people with physical disabiliteis on a daily basis. Often care staff are reluctant to assist with any manual handling of their client. 

We use climbing systems attached to the clients slings to hoist onto our zipwire and climbing walls. 

We have pro move slings, slide sheets and transfer boards as well as a hoist available but very rarely use them. 

We have a copy of the manual handling dvd produced by the calvert trust which is a handy reminder to be backed up with manual handling input. I provide the manual handling training myself as we couldn't find a provider who covered what we were after. 

If I can help further let me know. 

Nick

thanks 1 user thanked ncann88 for this useful post.
Bass900063 on 04/07/2017(UTC)
Brian Campbell  
#5 Posted : 27 June 2017 15:31:29(UTC)
Brian Campbell

Try Barnardos for training, we have used them in the past for Safe Guard training etc and they might do handling training or advise you who does!!!

thanks 1 user thanked Brian Campbell for this useful post.
saferay  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2017 13:38:50(UTC)
saferay

People with disabilities that require assistance to move will have an assessment completed for them by a medical professional. That assessment forms part of their 'CarePlan'. Carers that accompany such people (or their employers) must provide you with details of any assistance that is required prior to them arriving at your location. You (and the care provider) must identify if you are able to provide the correct assistance. If you 'assist' them without that information, or in a manner not condusive with the assessment, be prepared for the consequences if you cause injury or worse.

thanks 1 user thanked saferay for this useful post.
KieranD  
#7 Posted : 13 July 2017 07:57:15(UTC)
KieranD

Christine

A technique known as the 'ceiling lift' was developed to address the issues you outline.  Results of its test by researchers in Canada were published some time ago.

If you want relevent details, either to train people or to specify training clearly, you're welcome to PM me.

Teresa Budworth  
#8 Posted : 13 July 2017 08:35:06(UTC)
Teresa Budworth

I believe RoSPA offer qualifications in people handling. Worth asking them for advice.