Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PGil2  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2017 08:42:32(UTC)
PGil2

Hi all

I was looking some advice from those who have more experience of this type of work - loading curtainsiders.

When loading/off loading steel from curtainsider trailers, when access onto trailers is reduced as far as practicable how do others prevent fall of people from trailers.  Most of the systems - safety lines with inertia reels etc that I have looked at have limitations due to the top of the trailer being covered the attachment point for an inertia reels not being vertical and beyond the limitation of the reel - approx 20 degrees.

Platforms cannot be installed as loading is carried out using forklifts working from both sides, the same applies for airbags etc

Can you outline how you deal with this issue

Thanks

PG

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2017 09:01:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you are loading both sides by FLT why does a driver/operative need to be on the trailer bed/load?

Are you loading steel coil and having to scotch the bottom rolls to prevent movement?

Would have thought these could be accessed from ground level

We locate securing straps (including those built in to the trailer) using extension handles which are also used to place load protection plastic corners

Foreign drivers who have the slat siders also seem to use extension poles to place or remove the slats from ground level

Without affiliation to any particular supplier the items mentioned can be found

http://www.cargo-stop.com/

http://www.cargo-stop.com/Catalogue/Working-at-Height/ProPoles

http://www.cargo-stop.com/Catalogue/Working-at-Height/ProPole-Attachments/ProPlacer-H-055-4-1

Edited by user 21 June 2017 09:43:51(UTC)  | Reason: added links to example equipment

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2017 09:01:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

If you are loading both sides by FLT why does a driver/operative need to be on the trailer bed/load?

Are you loading steel coil and having to scotch the bottom rolls to prevent movement?

Would have thought these could be accessed from ground level

We locate securing straps (including those built in to the trailer) using extension handles which are also used to place load protection plastic corners

Foreign drivers who have the slat siders also seem to use extension poles to place or remove the slats from ground level

Without affiliation to any particular supplier the items mentioned can be found

http://www.cargo-stop.com/

http://www.cargo-stop.com/Catalogue/Working-at-Height/ProPoles

http://www.cargo-stop.com/Catalogue/Working-at-Height/ProPole-Attachments/ProPlacer-H-055-4-1

Edited by user 21 June 2017 09:43:51(UTC)  | Reason: added links to example equipment

PGil2  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2017 15:24:29(UTC)
PGil2

Thanks Roundtuit

I dont see how the poles would work as it would appear they would have to be installed before access onto trailer and would impede loading/offloading.  There is no control over the trailers coming in as they customer use external hauliers so system needs to be adaptable.

The operative access the trailer as infrequently as practicable, however due to the steel beams they load are done in sequence the need to put spacers etc in between them and also ensure load is secure. This cannot be done from ground.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2017 17:29:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Think I have been miss understood - the equipment for want of a better description is akin to a large industrial "selfie-stick" so not physically installed on any trailer. It is used for hooking straps and placing edge guards from ground level.

With your last post I take it we are actually talking about long I beams and similar.

Other than resistance from the operatives why can't they use mobile steps drawn along the vehicle side to place/remove spacers?

Comments such as it delays loading/unloading would actually be found to be without merit unless it is a single operative conducting the work in which case it adds minutes, not hours to the days operation and saves costs in the unfortunate event of injury or worse.

If the vehicle turn around is an issue add resource for those few time a day when loading/unloading occurs

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 21 June 2017 17:29:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Think I have been miss understood - the equipment for want of a better description is akin to a large industrial "selfie-stick" so not physically installed on any trailer. It is used for hooking straps and placing edge guards from ground level.

With your last post I take it we are actually talking about long I beams and similar.

Other than resistance from the operatives why can't they use mobile steps drawn along the vehicle side to place/remove spacers?

Comments such as it delays loading/unloading would actually be found to be without merit unless it is a single operative conducting the work in which case it adds minutes, not hours to the days operation and saves costs in the unfortunate event of injury or worse.

If the vehicle turn around is an issue add resource for those few time a day when loading/unloading occurs

PGil2  
#7 Posted : 22 June 2017 08:30:01(UTC)
PGil2

Yes I did misunderstand

So to clarify the straps would be put in place the poles and then secured using the corner protectors which would allow you to tension the straps on the trailer.  

Access to and from the trailer via steps which would also proivide access to enable corner protectors to be fitted.

Is this description of use correct 

chris42  
#8 Posted : 22 June 2017 08:32:25(UTC)
chris42

I used to work with steel ā€œIā€ beams, probably a little bigger than you are referring to. However, we never used curtain siders for delivery. In fact, whenever you see trucks on the motorway steelwork is always on normal open trailers. You are the customer! 

I guess the manufacturer of the beams have the same issue loading, so perhaps some clever thinking on the spacers used between the beams is needed to negate a person being on the bed. Ie temp fix of wooden blocks to the steelwork so it is lifted in with the load. Strapping down can then be done from the side.

But to answer, I think more detail of the load is required.

Being on the bed of the vehicle when it is being loaded and offloaded is not good. Bed of vehicle is too low for fall protection, so you would need fall restraint.

I think for anyone to help you, you will need to provide a lot more detail of the load, ie is it in long lengths (full length of trailer) or multiple short lengths end to end and on top of one another. Either way I think my first suggestion at looking at ways to secure the spacers at ground level is the way forward and possibly work with supplier.

Did I mention being on the bed when loading is not good.

You can try The BCSA web site, they used to provide info on loading fall protection options

Chris

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 22 June 2017 11:06:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most rigid roof curtain siders have a central single roof rail fitted - this should if properly maintained have load restraint straps already hanging from it.

It is these straps that are lifted with the pole whilst they are positioned over the load. Using the pole the edge protector is placed on the load then the strap located on top of the edge protector before the strap is ratcheted tight.

Similarly the pole is used to poition additional straps attached to the trailer bed.

The steps are an alternative method to gain access placing packers on and across the load.

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2017 11:06:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most rigid roof curtain siders have a central single roof rail fitted - this should if properly maintained have load restraint straps already hanging from it.

It is these straps that are lifted with the pole whilst they are positioned over the load. Using the pole the edge protector is placed on the load then the strap located on top of the edge protector before the strap is ratcheted tight.

Similarly the pole is used to poition additional straps attached to the trailer bed.

The steps are an alternative method to gain access placing packers on and across the load.