Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ron Hunter  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2017 15:12:49(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Anyone else out there talking these Regulations and Guidance (HSG281) and application to particular risk Groups (e.g. Table 7)?

The number of sources with potential to pose additional risk to those with active implanted or active body-worn medical devices is particularly daunting, and I'd consider many of them to be "everyday" items.

Do I need to but a meter to determine whether my WLAN, electric garden appliances, heat guns and glue guns (to list just a few) exceed the 0.5 mT (milliTesla presumably)) Action Level?

thanks 1 user thanked Ron Hunter for this useful post.
aud on 21/06/2017(UTC)
Ron Hunter  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2017 09:22:54(UTC)
Ron Hunter

oops! Should have read "Do I need to buy a meter"

How do you edit on this Forum?

ExDeeps  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2017 10:27:28(UTC)
ExDeeps

Ron,

I've not got the detail with me, but based on my power station, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem. Surveys round the generators, generator transformers, switchgear and HV motors etc indicate that you basically need to cuddle up close and personal to be at risk - the problem comes with very high power, high frequencies way above "normal" AC or similar. (And if you can get your head round the concept of an inverse square rule for exposure then you become much more relaxed very quickly)

Granted the list of at risk people is quite daunting most of them that are at risk will be aware, maybe expectant mothers and such like will be at some increased risk if not protected, but people with medical implants etc should have a knowledge of the issues, but even then, I doubt if the kit you mention is anywhere near presenting a hazard unless defective in some way.

Sorry if my reply seems a bit glib, hope it helps in some way,

jim

Jane Blunt  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2017 11:26:04(UTC)
Jane Blunt

I agree with Ex Deeps. Magnetic field is generated from the current in the device. A rough calculation can give you an idea of the scale. If you have a straight wire carrying a current of 1 A, the magnetic field 1 cm from the wire I estimate is 0.02 mT. For a straight wire it falls of inversely; for a point source it falls off more steeply (inverse square).

Some sources are very significant, but you don't come across them everyday. Welders can use 100s or even up to 1000 A, and things such as aluminium smelters (149 000 A).

Ron Hunter  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2017 11:42:49(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Thanks for the responses folks. I am generally relaxed regarding controls (permit systems, etc) for general work (although I've some residual concerns regarding our street lighting people working at height near base stations in the street environment).

I can't help but think that the HSE are over-egging the risk from active/ passive implanted or worn medical devices though. HSG281 contains no practical guidance, and the EU non-binding guides, whilst providing some context on the age of implants, aren't much better.

I can't simply ignore this, or the potential for in utero risk from direct or indirect effects from induction heating, welding and maintenance work. Like you, I find it hard to believe the listed kit presents additional risk, but HSE have seen fit to mention it!!!!!

Jane Blunt  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2017 12:09:57(UTC)
Jane Blunt

There is quite a bit of information on this website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/electromagnetic-fields#static-fields

much of it was compiled by the NRPB, later the HPA.